Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID for iCloud no longer exists. How can I change it to my current Apple ID? (Part 2)

My wife has this old iPad whose Apple ID no longer exist. The third-party email that my wife used no longer exist.

I wish to change the Apple ID of this old iPad v9.3.5 to my son's Apple ID.

How do I do this?

And no, answering this as "Change Apple ID" does not offer us this option,.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5, MC705LL/A (informally iPad 3)

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 1:28 PM

Apple IDs never stop existing. They cannot be deleted except by Apple.

The existence or functionality of the associated e-mail account has no bearing on the existence or functionality of the Apple ID. i.e they are independent of each other.

The only way to remove an iCloud ID from a device is to sign out of it. If you know the password for it, you can sign out easily.

If you no longer remember the password for it, and the email address is no longer functional, and it does not have a rescue email address associated with it, then you'll need to contact iTunes Account security and try to recover access to the account so it can be removed from the device.

There's no other way to do this.

iTunes Store - Contact Us - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 1:28 PM in response to Rad User

Apple IDs never stop existing. They cannot be deleted except by Apple.

The existence or functionality of the associated e-mail account has no bearing on the existence or functionality of the Apple ID. i.e they are independent of each other.

The only way to remove an iCloud ID from a device is to sign out of it. If you know the password for it, you can sign out easily.

If you no longer remember the password for it, and the email address is no longer functional, and it does not have a rescue email address associated with it, then you'll need to contact iTunes Account security and try to recover access to the account so it can be removed from the device.

There's no other way to do this.

iTunes Store - Contact Us - Apple Support

Feb 26, 2018 1:56 PM in response to Rad User

Rad User wrote:

I have tried the following:

- Settings -> iCloud -> "Sign Out" (3rd-party email does not exist)
- Settings -> "Your Name" (Apple ID does not exist)

- Settings -> iTunes & App Store (Apple ID does not exist)

A little help, please.

Not sure what you mean by that.

If the iPad is running iOS 9.3.5 the "Your Name" section does not exist there.

If you go to Settings->iTunes & App Stores->Apple ID it will show which Apple ID is currently signed in. There can only ever be one Apple ID signed in.

If you go to Settings->iCloud it also show which Apple ID is currently signed in. Again only one Apple ID can be signed in at a time.

If both those locations show the correct, and current Apple ID, then the old Apple ID is not signed in and as such does not need to be signed out.

What exactly is happening that makes you think the old Apple ID is signed in somewhere then?

Apple ID for iCloud no longer exists. How can I change it to my current Apple ID? (Part 2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.