Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility options greyed out

I have an old imac that I am trying to erase the hard drive so I can donate it.

In disk utility this option is greyed out.

I can't find the original start up disks so am wondering what are other options to try?

Its running OS X 10.8.5

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 8:44 PM

What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

Note: Step 6 in this article will not work for pre-2012 Macs. Instead you will need to insert the compatible Mac OS X install DVD, and then, restart with either the <C> or <option> key held down. Then use the Disk Utility to erase the internal drive, and finally, install a fresh copy of the OS. If your Mac is a pre-2012 model and you don't have the original Install DVD, you may be out of luck.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 8:44 PM in response to Corndalefarmer

What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

Note: Step 6 in this article will not work for pre-2012 Macs. Instead you will need to insert the compatible Mac OS X install DVD, and then, restart with either the <C> or <option> key held down. Then use the Disk Utility to erase the internal drive, and finally, install a fresh copy of the OS. If your Mac is a pre-2012 model and you don't have the original Install DVD, you may be out of luck.

Disk Utility options greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.