Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iTunes music to a new PC Issue

Hello. I'm an Apple Music Subscriber. I have a my iTunes music moved to a new Windows 10 laptop into the following folder: C:...\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\ . I've mapped iTunes to open to this folder as well. When in iTunes, all my songs displays it's stored in the cloud, not on the C drive location, even though I don't have iTunes Match. Now, if I play or download a song, iTunes creates a new folder called 'Music' (\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Music). This new folder actually has my music file located in there, rather than the original music folder. Anyone know why this is happening, especially when I copied all the music directly to the laptop? Is there a way I can move to the default file location I setup?

Windows 10-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 1:19 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 26, 2018 1:22 PM in response to adrianmac1

Apple's 6 pages of exhaustively meticulous step-by-step instructions: How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - https://support.apple.com/HT204318 Use this if you suspect any of your media are not in the standard location (iTunes Media folder).

My one-sentence summary if you always use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive, hold down the option/alt key (shift on Windows) while starting iTunes, and when requested to select a library select the iTunes Library.itl file in the copied folder (Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - https://support.apple.com/HT201596).

Feb 26, 2018 1:43 PM in response to adrianmac1

See Make a split library portable. You've set the media folder one level too deep. It should be pointed to the iTunes Media folder, then each media kind gets its own subfolder, e.g. Music, Movies, TV Shows, etc. Changing the media folder to the default location and turning keep organized off and then back on again should work with this type of nested layout to get your media back into the usual places and make the library portable so that it can be moved by simply copying the whole iTunes folder.

tt2

Feb 27, 2018 6:41 PM in response to adrianmac1

I didn't say anything about moving files by hand. I recommended three specific preference changes. Undo what you did by putting things back exactly where they came from, and changing the media folder to its previous path. Close iTunes and reopen. Does it still show everything in the cloud? Did you move an iTunes Library.itl file? Everything going cloudy is usually a sign that your active library has been replaced by a new empty one. If the active library is supposed to be in <User's Music>\iTunes and cannot be found iTunes will create a new empty one without flagging up an error.

If needs be see Move your iTunes library to a new computer and revisit the way that you transferred the library.

Again, for the avoidance of doubt, in a well formed iTunes library the media folder is called iTunes Media and music files are placed in the layout ...\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Artist\Album\## Name.Ext.

Apart from the exceptions noted in Make a split library portable manually moving content or renaming files or folders on a Windows computer will break the connection between the iTunes library and its media.

tt2

Feb 27, 2018 6:41 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your suggestions in this post. So I moved all my music to: C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media. I confirm the music files are in there correct folder. I launch iTunes. Changed the default path to: C:\Users\ahowl\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media. Closed and launched iTunes again and nothing really changed. I see all my songs, but they are all in icloud. I have the option to download them, but I should not have to do this since I have the music on my laptop. If I download the song, iTunes, once again creates a new folder called Music. C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music

Feb 27, 2018 6:41 PM in response to adrianmac1

So I basically started from scratch, moved my iTunes folder to a temp folder. I clicked on Shift and iTunes and selected a new library. iTunes opens up and my songs are still displayed in iCloud. I dragged my music to iTunes and now I see my music as if stored locally on my laptop. There are a few duplicates displayed but I think it's figured out now. Thanks for your help.

Moving iTunes music to a new PC Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.