Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No option to choose a disk when reinstalling macOS

Hi all,

just had a mishap with my Macbook Air - I spilled a tiny amount of liquid on it and the screen went black. 😟

When I tried to get it to work again, a folder with a question mark icon appeared on the screen and not much else was happening. I held down the CMD and R keys and followed the instructions on the screen till I arrived to "macOS Utilities" and tried to Reinstall macOS. At one point it is asking to select the disk I want to install the macOS Sierra but there is no options to select from - no disk. I checked the menu on the left side in the Disk Utility and there are only 2 options - Apple disk image and OS X Base system /disk images/.

How do I proceed from here? Any advice will be appreciated. 🙂

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 11:37 AM

The spill may have caused more damage than you expected. Possibly corroding the logic board. At this point, I can only suggest that you stop using your notebook and make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store to have them take a look.

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 1, 2018 5:22 PM in response to derianna2018

derianna2018 wrote:

No, there is no "Show all disks" option.

Both disk image options are in the "Disk Utility" section which I can only get to if I cancel the installing of the macOS.

It's at the top menu bar under "View" once you have Disk Utility operating. There are two options - "Show Only Volumes" or "Show All Devices".

How old is your MacBook Air? Some of the older operating systems have different wrinkles to how Disk Utility works.

No option to choose a disk when reinstalling macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.