Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location of Software

So basically i want to install a different copy of osx on my laptop and still have all my files and software stored on a ssd if i want to switch back to my old files. Except i don't know where the system is physically stored is it in the ssd or is the storage separate and sottered to the motherboard. I do not want to replace my software i want two interchangeable ssd's.

P.S. the model is A1465 if that helps

MacBook Air, mac osx serria

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 3:02 PM

3 replies

Feb 26, 2018 3:47 PM in response to Mo0nbase

The OS and all files are stored on a bootable drive. In your case it's an SSD in the form of a board that can theoretically be removed/replaced if needed.

Not quite sure what you want to do, but it is possible to have a complete working operating system and storage on an external USB drive, which can physically be a hard drive or an SSD. This is called an external boot volume. You can use it almost exactly like you would your internal drive, although it tends to be slower.

How to select a different startup disk - Apple Support

Location of Software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.