Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule shared disks users account issue with time machine

Hello,

Description:

I'm using a Time Capsule (2015 edition) to setup a time machine backup for three distinct iMacs operating on ElCapitain 10.11 (latest release). I used a similar "Shared Disks user account" method as described here: AirPort Base Stations: Understanding Secure Shared Disks user account privileges - Apple Support

I've setup three users accounts separately (one for each iMac) and configured each Time Machine to use it's own user to backup one the same Caspule with Time Machine.

Problem:

Only two iMac can access perfectly to it's own user account through Time Machine backup... The third does not connect to to the Time capsule, no matter user name or password I tried during setup in the "Time Capsule > With accounts" setting, this iMac 27' (2015) won't connect the the time capsule drive. Looks like something is wrong somewhere (permission, sharing, network ?) but i cannot point it out ? Any ideas ?

Best,

Eric

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 3:27 PM

Yes,, I would NOT use "With Accounts"

It is not achieving anything other than making your life difficult.

Simply go back to using default i.e. same as admin password on the Time Capsule.. or if you want added security you can use a disk password.

User uploaded file

With Accounts makes no difference to the backup.

(If I use another user/password setup from a different iMac it works fine but then it's using the same backup (image disk I guess ?) partition is for both iMac... which I don't thing is a good solution for recovery.

No.. this is not the case..

There is no partitioning..

Each Mac creates a backup image called Sparsebundle. It is a virtual disk so acts somewhat like a partition. So it will never mix backups.. indeed it cannot do it.

You will simply have two Sparsebundles under one account and a third one under another account.. all go to the same partition.

Using identical username and password on two different Macs will in no way change the operation of Time Machine. It will produce separate Sparsebundle for each computer.

It will stop anyone without the username / password from seeing the backup. Which is absolutely pointless. It offers no security at all.. because anyone can simply press the reset and change the setting.. and recover all the passwords.

If you want the backup secure encrypt it via the setting in Time Machine. But leave the TC running with device password.. which is default.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2018 3:27 PM in response to FunkyRico

Yes,, I would NOT use "With Accounts"

It is not achieving anything other than making your life difficult.

Simply go back to using default i.e. same as admin password on the Time Capsule.. or if you want added security you can use a disk password.

User uploaded file

With Accounts makes no difference to the backup.

(If I use another user/password setup from a different iMac it works fine but then it's using the same backup (image disk I guess ?) partition is for both iMac... which I don't thing is a good solution for recovery.

No.. this is not the case..

There is no partitioning..

Each Mac creates a backup image called Sparsebundle. It is a virtual disk so acts somewhat like a partition. So it will never mix backups.. indeed it cannot do it.

You will simply have two Sparsebundles under one account and a third one under another account.. all go to the same partition.

Using identical username and password on two different Macs will in no way change the operation of Time Machine. It will produce separate Sparsebundle for each computer.

It will stop anyone without the username / password from seeing the backup. Which is absolutely pointless. It offers no security at all.. because anyone can simply press the reset and change the setting.. and recover all the passwords.

If you want the backup secure encrypt it via the setting in Time Machine. But leave the TC running with device password.. which is default.

Feb 26, 2018 4:22 PM in response to FunkyRico

People very seldom use the user account method of access.. from past experience it does not work very well and it is dead simple for someone who wants to get around it to do so.

Perhaps you can tell us what you are trying to achieve with user account access.

As far as network is concerned.. on the Mac that has issues, does the TC show up in Airport Utility.

If so,

Can you mount the hard disk in Finder?

Mar 1, 2018 2:45 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi, Thanks for your reply, the security is not really a request at this time. I'm not trying to achieve anything special, just using the Time Capsule proposed settings to backup three iMacs on it, all with Time Machine individually from each PC... Btw I'm not talking about the iMac main user access but the user/password created in the Airport Utility (to access a specific "partition" or "image disk" created for Time Machine, sorry if I am using the wrong terms).

For some reason I cannot connect the Time Machine on this one iMac (using the very kind of settings apparently). I cannot post screenshots as I'm not in this location right now…

I did not try to log into Airport Utility from this specific iMac that has this issue, but I can select the drive from Time Machine preference, it's only the user/password which is refused at this time for some reason and I cannot figured out why. (If I use another user/password setup from a different iMac it works fine but then it's using the same backup (image disk I guess ?) partition is for both iMac... which I don't thing is a good solution for recovery. Best, Eric

Mar 7, 2018 3:26 PM in response to FunkyRico

I can only guess what the original intent was.. probably increased security.

Encryption did not come until Time Machine update in Lion. Before then anyone could access your files from Time Capsule.. so with accounts added some very minor security improvement.. but mostly for the sake of the end user concerns.. it was still hopelessly flawed by the soft reset if anyone had physical access to the TC.

Otherwise it may have been intended to set actual disk limits.. ie each user has a set size limit.. which would have actually been useful. Apple did introduce this with Time Machine functionality in server extensions.. but it never made it to the TC as independent function.

Apple tend to update firmware but change only items that are problems.. since it was there.. they just left it in.. but user base learned not to use it.

Time capsule shared disks users account issue with time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.