Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the domain 'sd.apple.com' compiled into macOS programs used for?

The domain 'sd.apple.com' is compiled into certain macOS programs. A specific example, in the Perl

module Config.pm can be found the key = value pair, 'mydomain' => 'sd.apple.com'. Well, that is not my domain and it is a real pain to have to continually edit files where it is used. For example, if one is creating a C extension to be used with a Perl module one is writing with h2xs, that domain name is used to define the email address of the user. That's bogus and I can't change it other than by hand editing the file or recompiling Perl. What is Apple using that domain for in macOS? Is my machine communicating with that domain without my knowledge? I'm using 10.13.3 on a Pro.

macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Generic error message served.

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 3:42 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 26, 2018 6:18 PM in response to perlboy_emeritus

Hello perlboy_emeritus,

Although the "sd.apple.com" domain seems to new, the Config_heavy.pl file has had Apple domains in it before. At least it does on Sierra.

I'm sure there is nothing nefarious going on.

However, I can tell you that Apple includes Perl for its own use. Whether or not it works for your needs is the luck of the draw. If you are doing something funky, and what you describe definitely falls into that category, you can expect problems. Apple recommends building your own version of the software in these situations. Most things can be installed into a local, user-space directory. That is what I do.

What is the domain 'sd.apple.com' compiled into macOS programs used for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.