Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac will no longer backup to Time Capsule

My iMac (mid 2011) will no longer backup to Time Capsule. The message I get when trying to manually start a backup states "Backup Disk Not Available" The details button states: "The backup disk could not be found. Make sure the backup disk is connected or select a different backup disk." I checked the connections and they looked fine. It gives me an option to remove the existing disk (which I have been using for backups and which it can no longer "find") or set up a new Time Capsule that is not listed. How do I fix this and why did it stop backing up in the first place? I've had the Time Capsule since 2012.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 5:02 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 26, 2018 7:59 PM in response to salliepc

Did you recently upgrade (???) the iMac to Sierra or High Sierra.. any major upgrade (so called) of OS can do nasty things?

Your TC if bought in 2012 is gen4 and is now >5years old.. that is about the limit for domestic equipment so it could actually be faulty. If the TC LED is still green and you are getting internet through it then it should still be ok.

I would reset the TC to factory and reconfigure it.

Make sure this time you use all short names no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

Same for passwords but can be longer..

Set Time Machine again to backup to the newly reconfigured TC.. it will say it is going to do a new backup but at the point of backup will search for existing backups and discover the old one and after an hour or more of checking resume the backup.

If it fails give us the whole network layout.. what modem router you have.. make and model please. Plus how the TC is connected and how the iMac backs up.. ethernet or wireless.

A few screenshots of the setup helps no end.

iMac will no longer backup to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.