Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will reinstalling macOS after upgrading free up space?

Hi all,

I’m thinking of getting an 11 inch Macbook air with 2 gigs of ram and a 64 gig ssd. The thing is, it comes preinstalled with Mac Os X Lion. I’m thinking to upgrade to high Sierra, but I have to install El Captian first. Overall, its 22 GB roughly. Because of that, i‘m wondering if after I upgrade, I Factory Reset High Sierra. will this free up space from upgrading? (Sorry, i’m really new to Mac Os.)

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Macbook Air 11 inch (late 2011)

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 7:00 PM

will this free up space from upgrading?

Not really. And I wouldn't bother with a 64 GB SSD - it'll be filled up in a couple of months. But, you have a more important issue: trying to run any newer OS version with only 2 GB will result in nothing but frustration - 2 GB of RAM is simply not enough. 4 GB is considered to be the absolute minimum - 8 GB would be better.

So, I'd pass on that one.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 7:00 PM in response to DaveyWavey1234

will this free up space from upgrading?

Not really. And I wouldn't bother with a 64 GB SSD - it'll be filled up in a couple of months. But, you have a more important issue: trying to run any newer OS version with only 2 GB will result in nothing but frustration - 2 GB of RAM is simply not enough. 4 GB is considered to be the absolute minimum - 8 GB would be better.

So, I'd pass on that one.

Will reinstalling macOS after upgrading free up space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.