Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would an iphone backup to iCloud, include the backup of playlists saved to the iphone (even though playlists were not from purchased material)

We are on a family share plan, and one member deleted the playlists that another member had created. The member who's playlists were deleted, had done a backup of her iphone in the iCloud and we are trying to determine if the playlists would be accessible as a result of the backup to the iClould. If not is there any other way of recovering the deleted playlists?

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 5:53 PM

7 replies

Feb 28, 2018 5:46 AM in response to @lostplaylists

OK, so to clarify:

Family Sharing is a free service that allows you to share your purchases from the iTunes & App Stores with other members of your Family. It also provides a common method for paying for all future purchases via the Organizer of the Family, in addition to providing a common place to share a calendar or photos.

There are two additional services under Family Sharing:

- iCloud Storage Family subscription

- Apple Music Family Plan subscription

You can use Family Sharing without having either a shared iCloud Storage plan, or a shared Apple Music Plan.

So, that is why I asked for the clarification.

Since you are using Apple Music, none of the items related to Apple Music are backed up via an iCloud backup. That's because Apple Music is a streaming Music service, and by its nature, it is an iCloud-based service. Therefore, nothing that is used on that service is copied to an iCloud backup of the iOS device.

The Playlists live in the iCloud Music Library, which is a single library that is updated dynamically when you make changes, purchases, deletions, and other modifications to your Apple Music. I'm fairly certain that the playlist is gone, but here are some Apple Music articles that may help:

Create and share playlists - Apple Support

Access your music collection on all of your devices with Apple Music - Apple Support

Get an Apple Music Family subscription - Apple Support

I'm afraid I couldn't find anything about retrieving deleted playlists, but again, if it was in the Library, then it was probably deleted from both places at the same time.

Best of luck,

GB

Feb 26, 2018 8:31 PM in response to zinacef

Hi - thanks a lot for trying to help me with this. We are on a shared Family Music plan. I don't think the playlists were saved to the iCloud, but the iphone had been backed up to the iCloud. Its not clear from your link above, which I had read previously, whether playlists comprised of songs that were not purchased, would be backed up in iCloud. My other daughter obviously made an error in deleting the playlists not knowing the implications but there were 30 playlists so appreciate any further insights you may have...thanks again.

Feb 27, 2018 6:28 AM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail - you have to forgive my ignorance on this - but I believe we are using Family Sharing. For Apple Music, what's the difference between Family Plan and Family Sharing? I know we pay a monthly fee for access to Apple Music, and there are family members who can all access the same music and share playlists, but not sure what Family Plan is. Thanks a lot for trying to help us out.

Would an iphone backup to iCloud, include the backup of playlists saved to the iphone (even though playlists were not from purchased material)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.