Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook bluetooth audio connected but silent

When I connect my Macbook to an external Bluetooth sound adapter, system prefs show that it is connected, but there is no sound. I have already verified the following:

• I have a mid-2015 MacBook Pro, running version 10.13.3 (17D102)
  • System prefs (and icon) show that bluetooth is connected to external speaker adapter.
  • Volume is not muted.
  • Sound works fine with internal speakers.
  • Other devices (Android phone and table) connect to external speaker BT adapter and play audio.

I did not have this problem before a recent software upgrade. Does anyone else have this problem and have they found a solution?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 7:31 AM

Hi lsiden,
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. If you are having issues with Bluetooth audio on your MacBook Pro, you may want to double-check that everything is configured as outlined in the following article. In particular, you may want to make sure that the audio output is set to use the Bluetooth speakers, rather than the internal speakers:

Select a Bluetooth audio device as your computer’s input or output device

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sound.

2. If your device is meant for sound output (for example, headphones), click Output. If your device is meant for sound input (for example, a headset), click Input.

3. Select the device you want to use in the list of devices.

macOS Sierra: Set up Bluetooth audio devices
Regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 7:31 AM in response to Community User

Hi lsiden,
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. If you are having issues with Bluetooth audio on your MacBook Pro, you may want to double-check that everything is configured as outlined in the following article. In particular, you may want to make sure that the audio output is set to use the Bluetooth speakers, rather than the internal speakers:

Select a Bluetooth audio device as your computer’s input or output device

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sound.

2. If your device is meant for sound output (for example, headphones), click Output. If your device is meant for sound input (for example, a headset), click Input.

3. Select the device you want to use in the list of devices.

macOS Sierra: Set up Bluetooth audio devices
Regards.

macbook bluetooth audio connected but silent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.