Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library vs. Photo's library

Recently I performed a factory reset on my Macbook Pro for a fresh start. Most of my files are on a Dropbox account so restoring those was piece of cake. For my Photo Library I decided not to use a backup and tried to restore it from the iCloud Photo Library. After downloading all the photos from the cloud, I compared the size of my Photo library after the download with the one in my backup folder and I got the following situation:

NEW (only 1 file):

Photo Library (downloaded from iCloud Photo): ~15GB

BACKUP (two files):

Photo's Library.photoslibrary: ~133GB

iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary: ~68GB

So, for the 2-file situation on my backup I figure it has something to do with the migration from iPhoto to Photo sometime ago. Although I never understood why it duplicated the library, I guess I just let it be. What concerns me the most, though, is that huge difference between what has been downloaded from iCloud Photo Library and the size of my old Photo's library: almost 10x the difference. I checked the photos on Photos and apparently everything is ok.

Anyway, this is just funky and hard for me to explain, so since I don't want to lose any precious media, I appreciate if someone could help me out figure this mystery out.

Thanks,

Macbook Aluminum 2.4GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 12:32 AM

BACKUP (two files):

Has the download from iCloud finished? For such a large library it may take a week, to download all photos back to your Mac.

Check the status line at the bottom of the Photos view in Photos, see: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Does it say, "updated just now"?

Check the Photos > Preferences > iCloud:

If "Optimize Storage" is enabled, as Larry suspects, the original image files will not download from iCloud, and the smaller, optimized versions may only need a tenth of the original library size.

Disable optimize storage, if it is on.

Then create an album in photos, that is holding all photos and videos - a standard album, not a smart album. Ctrl-click this album in the sidebar and enable "Download originals to this Mac". This will prompt photos to download the originals, if it has not already done so. This option is only available in Photos 3.0 in High Sierra.

Does the size of the library increase?

User uploaded file

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 12:32 AM in response to veloso77

BACKUP (two files):

Has the download from iCloud finished? For such a large library it may take a week, to download all photos back to your Mac.

Check the status line at the bottom of the Photos view in Photos, see: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Does it say, "updated just now"?

Check the Photos > Preferences > iCloud:

If "Optimize Storage" is enabled, as Larry suspects, the original image files will not download from iCloud, and the smaller, optimized versions may only need a tenth of the original library size.

Disable optimize storage, if it is on.

Then create an album in photos, that is holding all photos and videos - a standard album, not a smart album. Ctrl-click this album in the sidebar and enable "Download originals to this Mac". This will prompt photos to download the originals, if it has not already done so. This option is only available in Photos 3.0 in High Sierra.

Does the size of the library increase?

User uploaded file

Feb 27, 2018 3:05 AM in response to léonie

Hi LéonieUser uploaded file

I have been searching the forums and have asked the same question to Old Toad.. Looks like you're also an expert in this field 🙂
I'm moving to mac from PC and when I bring my photos to my mac it changes the creation date to the day I copied the flies across (ie today). So when they are displayed in Photos, they all display as today's photos. (creation date = today. modified date = when the photo was taken).
Is there a way to overwrite the creation date with the modified date - so the the photos app will correctly display these in date order? I guess I'm looking for a batch change the creation date to the modified date.... ?

I just want all my old photos that I have just copied (hence today as creation date) to be correctly displayed when I import them into the photos app.

Thanks a lot
Michael

Feb 27, 2018 7:45 AM in response to Mltapuach

it changes the creation date to the day I copied the flies across (ie today). So when they are displayed in Photos, they all display as today's photos. (creation date = today. modified date = when the photo was taken).

You problem is at the Windows end. You need to export these images from whatever manager you use over there with the Exif info intact. This records the date the photo was taken, and is attached to the photograph. Photos only uses file data when the exif date is missing.

Mar 4, 2018 12:41 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence,

Ive just had time to check this - and all the EXIF info is on the network drive that the photos are on.
date taken , camera model etc. I can't see this from the Mac, but I can see it from the Windows PC .

How can I see the exif info on the Mac ?

Any other suggestions to get this working ?

Thanks to all that have helped so far

iCloud Photo Library vs. Photo's library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.