Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers

I am probably asking a realitively easy question here but I am stumped. I am using the numbers app version 3.3.1 on an iPad.

I want to calculate different values and convert that to a time format. Example: A five gallon bucket has a hole that leaks one gal per hr Minute. In one cell I enter 5. In the next cell, I enter 1. In the next cell, a formula “cell x divided by cell y”. Yhe result is 5.0.

How do I set that cell to yield the answer in time VS. a number? When I try the time format, the cell automatically reverts back to a number format with one decimal place. If I format the cell first, I get errors.

Thanks.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11.2.6, Numbers v 3.3.1

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 8:07 AM

Hi David,

Numbers for iOS is one of the topics in the iWork for iOS community. It's understandably difficult to find as Apple has never really packaged or promoted Numbers, Pages and Keynote as components of an iWork package in the iOS versions.

Your question is about formulas, though, so the answer should be pretty much the same with regard to the functions to use.

You ask how you can 'set that cell to yield the answer in "time" vs a "number". "Time" in Numbers refers to 'time of day', and is always part of a Date & Time value that specifies a certain instant in time. Which is not what you want to use. The amount of time that has passed is a Duration, measured in weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds and milliseconds.

For your example, you state "A five gallon bucket has a hole that leaks one gal per hr Minute."

Assuming "hr" got in there accidentally, and the flow rate is 1 gal./min., your setup and formula could look like this:

B2: 5

B3: 1

B4: =DURATION(,,,B2/B3)

If it's a small hole, and the flow rate is actually 1 gal./hr., the only difference would be in B4:

B4: =DURATION(,,B2/B3)

In either formula, Numbers for Mac will replace "/" with the division sign, "÷"; Numbers for iOS will, I think, have you enter the ÷ directly.

You will be able to format the cell to show durations in a variety of formats, and will be able to choose which units to display.

Syntax for the DURATION function is: DURATION(weeks,days,hours,minutes,seconds.milliseconds)

As seen in the example, the leading commas are needed to tell DURATION what unit to start with.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 8:07 AM in response to David737-900

Hi David,

Numbers for iOS is one of the topics in the iWork for iOS community. It's understandably difficult to find as Apple has never really packaged or promoted Numbers, Pages and Keynote as components of an iWork package in the iOS versions.

Your question is about formulas, though, so the answer should be pretty much the same with regard to the functions to use.

You ask how you can 'set that cell to yield the answer in "time" vs a "number". "Time" in Numbers refers to 'time of day', and is always part of a Date & Time value that specifies a certain instant in time. Which is not what you want to use. The amount of time that has passed is a Duration, measured in weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds and milliseconds.

For your example, you state "A five gallon bucket has a hole that leaks one gal per hr Minute."

Assuming "hr" got in there accidentally, and the flow rate is 1 gal./min., your setup and formula could look like this:

B2: 5

B3: 1

B4: =DURATION(,,,B2/B3)

If it's a small hole, and the flow rate is actually 1 gal./hr., the only difference would be in B4:

B4: =DURATION(,,B2/B3)

In either formula, Numbers for Mac will replace "/" with the division sign, "÷"; Numbers for iOS will, I think, have you enter the ÷ directly.

You will be able to format the cell to show durations in a variety of formats, and will be able to choose which units to display.

Syntax for the DURATION function is: DURATION(weeks,days,hours,minutes,seconds.milliseconds)

As seen in the example, the leading commas are needed to tell DURATION what unit to start with.

Regards,

Barry

Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.