Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buy an Iphone in US for use in Europe

I want to buy an Iphone in US, but will later on for one year use it in Europe - in the Netherlands and Norway. What is important to look for (model/version number etc). I want to buy an unlocked phone.

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 2:24 PM

Reistad wrote:

So that means I can buy any unlocked Iphone from Apple, and then will not have to worry about using a net provider in Europe with that phone even when I have used it in US for a while.

Correct. If you buy direct from Apple, unlocked, it will remain unlocked regardless of what carrier is used to activate it the first time.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 2:24 PM in response to Reistad

Reistad wrote:

So that means I can buy any unlocked Iphone from Apple, and then will not have to worry about using a net provider in Europe with that phone even when I have used it in US for a while.

Correct. If you buy direct from Apple, unlocked, it will remain unlocked regardless of what carrier is used to activate it the first time.

Feb 27, 2018 11:35 AM in response to Reistad

There is no way to determine model when purchasing from Apple.

If you request an unlocked iPhone, you will get the model they have that is unlocked. Which currently is the GSM only version. So it will not work with CDMA carriers if any still remain in Europe.

Note that the Warranty will only be valid in the U.S. and should anything happen to it, you will need to take it back to the U.S. to get it repaired.

Other than that, just specifically request the unlocked model, and only buy directly from Apple.

iPhone's bought from anywhere else, are not truly unlocked, and most often than not will lock to the first U.S. carrier used to activate them, and cannot be activated on non U.S. carriers.

Feb 27, 2018 11:34 AM in response to askbarnabas

Actually I am checking this out for my son. He is in US now and will be there until September. And he needs a new phone now. He will be in Europe from September one year and will after that go back to US for another year. So I guess the best solution, and also the cheapest would be to by the phone directely from Apple unlocked.

Buy an Iphone in US for use in Europe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.