Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restart goes to a different partition

I have two partitions in the main hard drive. One for High Sierra, the other for Snow Leopard. When I restart from High Sierra, the computer goes to Snow Leopard. In order to reboot from High Sierra I have to use the option method and choose High Sierra. Is this normal?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 5:17 AM

5 replies

Mar 3, 2018 9:06 AM in response to CountryGirl56

Thank you for the reply. I am aware of the startup disk and I should have clarified my question better. The problem I am having is that when I work with High Sierra and switch to Snow Leopard it works fine.

When in Snow Leopard and want to switch back to High Sierra, High Sierra is not available in the startup disk (which I assume is normal because High Sierra is a later version).

When I restart from High Sierra, however, the startup is inconsistent. Sometimes it restarts with High Sierra and sometimes it restarts with Snow Leopard. Also, after an upgrade, sometimes automatically restarts with Snow Leopard. If I restart from High Sierra, I don’t think I should have to choose the startup. At least it did not happen with previous OS versions.

Mar 4, 2018 4:50 AM in response to Mauriziofromstedman

I had some things I had to do. The only thing I can suggest is make sure when you are in High Sierra that High Sierra is set as the startup disk. Hopefully when updating High Sierra that will force your machine to always reboot into High Sierra. If you want to boot into Snow Leopard or from Snow Leopard back to High Sierra use the option key.

Maybe someone else can think of an alternative.

Restart goes to a different partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.