Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

storage space taken up by system

constantly receiving 'your disk is almost full' notifications so i removed almost every thing from my files. it's mostly taken up by "system". the rest of the storage is taking up about 200 MB of space. the category "system" is taking up 119 GB of space. how can i fix this so that i can use all the features of my computer?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 5:35 AM

1 reply

Feb 27, 2018 5:41 AM in response to makaylafromhampton

The Storage tab does not always report correctly. Look in About this Mac > System Report > Storage. Also check by choosing your Mac HD and "Get Info" (command-i). It may be different. Try rebuilding Spotlight index.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Some of the space may also be from Time Machine Snapshots.

About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

After you've freed up some space download Omni DiskSweeper:

https://www.omnigroup.com/more

DiskSweeper can give you a more accurate read of disk space than Finder or Storage Tab of About this Mac. Itcan also show you the precise size and location of all your files..It can also give you a more accurate read of disk space than Finder or Storage Tab of About this Mac. Itcan show you the precise size and location of all your files. It will inventory your disk starting from the files that take up the most space. It can also give you a more accurate read of disk space than Finder or Storage Tab of About this Mac. If you want you can even delete files from OmniDisk Sweeper. But be careful some of the items may be important to your system.

For information about the Other category in the Storage display, please see Apple Support Topic

What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac? - Apple Support

Also, empty the Trash if you haven't already done so. If you use iPhoto, empty its internal Trash first:

iPhoto Empty Trash

In Photos: File Show Recently Deleted Delete All

storage space taken up by system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.