Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Can I backup my iPhone Photos securely to my Mac

I know how to import my iPhone photos into iTunes. Question is, is there a way to backup my iPhone photos to my Mac and that backup be secured/encrypted/password protected?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 32GB 27-inch, Late 2013

Posted on

Feb 27, 2018 7:05 AM in response to batesokc In response to batesokc

I have not heard of that option. You can do encrypted backups but I don't think those include photos which are really handled by iPhoto. You may end up having to use something like Filevault on your entire drive which I always consider somewhat risky unless it is absolutely essential (e.g., you store all the credit card numbers for a banking service). You may be better off approaching this by asking why you need to encrypt the photos and taking things from that direction. Maybe you just need a better login password on your computer account, or set up accounts for otehrs.

Feb 27, 2018 7:05 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 27, 2018 7:10 AM in response to Limnos In response to Limnos

I have to take a lot of sensitive photos for work that may contain identifying information. We are not allowed to use cloud services due to hacking potential. We have to use a desktop. I need a way to backup my photos in case my phone is lost, but I also want the photos to be secured by a password.

Feb 27, 2018 7:10 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 27, 2018 8:13 AM in response to batesokc In response to batesokc

You could set up a separate user computer account, and/or just make sure your computer account is password protected.

You could put your Photos library on an encrypted disk image as discussed in this link:

iPhoto password protected

I will request this topic be moved to the Photos forum since it really is dealing more with that.

Feb 27, 2018 8:13 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: batesokc

Question: Can I backup my iPhone Photos securely to my Mac