Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you recover photos from iCloud after clearing recently deleted folder?

Hi-

I backup my photos to iCloud. Once they were all backup up, I deleted them from my phone and cleared the recently deleted folder. Now they disappeared from my iCloud as well! Can I recover them? Is there anyway to do this other than restoring from backup? b/c the size of the photos in my backup doesn't look to be that big so not sure it has them all.

Thanks!

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 8:19 AM

Sorry, but if you deleted them and also deleted them from Recently Deleted, they are gone. An exception to that would be if you also had iCloud Photo Library turned on in a Mac and have a backup of that Mac from when the photos were on it, or if you have them synced to iCloud For Windows on a Windows PC.

Also, iCloud Backup does not backup photos from a device where iCloud Photo Library is turned on -- i.e., the photos are not on iCloud twice, as part of both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Backup.

iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photo Library is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to that iCloud Photo Library. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 8:19 AM in response to DonaldChurchill

Sorry, but if you deleted them and also deleted them from Recently Deleted, they are gone. An exception to that would be if you also had iCloud Photo Library turned on in a Mac and have a backup of that Mac from when the photos were on it, or if you have them synced to iCloud For Windows on a Windows PC.

Also, iCloud Backup does not backup photos from a device where iCloud Photo Library is turned on -- i.e., the photos are not on iCloud twice, as part of both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Backup.

iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photo Library is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to that iCloud Photo Library. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Can you recover photos from iCloud after clearing recently deleted folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.