Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: I have a MacBook Pro late 2012 model. And I would like to find a company that I can pay for Network Security firewall & Technical Support because I am traveling and will be using hotel shared internet service.

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro late 2012 model. And I would like to find a company that I can pay for Network Security firewall & Technical Support because I am traveling and will be using hotel shared internet service.

Or at least purchase a Network Security firewall software to give me some protection for my MacBook Pro.

Can some recommend a company or a very good software package I can buy?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on

Feb 27, 2018 7:55 AM in response to L cruising In response to L cruising

Your Mac operating software includes a number of security protocols. A third party anti-virus software is not recommended. Nor is firewall or security software.

You can invoke the computer's existing protections by clicking on system preferences and selecting the security and firewall options.

Feb 27, 2018 7:55 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 27, 2018 9:49 AM in response to L cruising In response to L cruising

Hello,

If you’re going to be using shared/public Wi-Fi, I first recommend that you make sure that your Mac’s firewall is enabled. Go to System Preferences, then Security and Privacy to check this.

In addition to using your Mac’s firewall, you may want to consider using a VPN or the Tor Browser. Both will encrypt your network traffic to a remote location, where the traffic is then sent to its destination, preventing snoopers on your local network from seeing what sites you visit or harvesting personal information. The main difference is that while a VPN is faster than Tor, it only sends it to one location, where it gets decrypted; the VPN provider could log what sites you visit. Tor, on the other hand, encrypts your traffic and bounces it to at least two random locations before decrypting it at yet another random location and sending it to its destination. This makes it truly impossible for snoopers on your network to know what sites you are visiting, and the website’s servers have no idea what your real IP address (and your location) is.

In addition, you’ll want to use HTTPS wherever possible. This ensures that an additional layer of encryption remains that only the website can remove. Otherwise, if you’re visiting a site whose address does not begin with https, snoopers at the end point of the VPN provider or the Tor exit node can intercept all of the data (except your IP address) that you’re sending to that site.

Tor Browser can be downloaded here:

https://www.torproject.org

Hope this helps!

Feb 27, 2018 9:49 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 27, 2018 10:35 AM in response to L cruising In response to L cruising

There's a solution that I use when traveling, a Keezel network interface. It connects to the hotel Wi-Fi, then rebroadcasts its own WPA2 encrypted wireless network, and connects to a worldwide network of VPN providers. It sounds more complicated than it is, but essentially it converts any unsecured public Wi-Fi network to a secure network. https://keezel.co/

Feb 27, 2018 10:35 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: L cruising

Question: I have a MacBook Pro late 2012 model. And I would like to find a company that I can pay for Network Security firewall & Technical Support because I am traveling and will be using hotel shared internet service.