Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange holiday in US Holidays Calendar

Anyone else have the new holiday "Holi" in their US Holidays Calendar for Friday March 2? Sadly it can't be deleted.

Here's the contents of the vcard for that special day:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR

CALSCALE:GREGORIAN

VERSION:2.0

X-WR-CALNAME:Holi

METHOD:PUBLISH

PRODID:-//Apple Inc.//Mac OS X 10.13.3//EN

BEGIN:VEVENT

TRANSP:TRANSPARENT

DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20180303

UID:faacda22-08f6-3d52-90fa-987f9f43c252

DTSTAMP:20180220T075910Z

SEQUENCE:0

CLASS:PUBLIC

X-APPLE-UNIVERSAL-ID:fc0ee209-a97f-e471-570a-252b76fa52e0

CATEGORIES:Holidays

X-APPLE-TRAVEL-ADVISORY-BEHAVIOR:AUTOMATIC

SUMMARY;LANGUAGE=en-US:Holi

DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20180302

CREATED:20180222T224100Z

BEGIN:VALARM

X-WR-ALARMUID:5399506E-5E28-4332-8F9A-58E5BF00FF48

UID:5399506E-5E28-4332-8F9A-58E5BF00FF48

TRIGGER:-PT15H

ATTACH;VALUE=URI:Basso

X-APPLE-LOCAL-DEFAULT-ALARM:TRUE

ACTION:AUDIO

X-APPLE-DEFAULT-ALARM:TRUE

END:VALARM

END:VEVENT

END:VCALENDAR

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), (Late 2014)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 11:15 AM

No one is "distressed" because a Hindu holiday is in the calendar.

I would like the option of getting rid of the holidays that are not either Christian or National holidays, mostly because it affects me personally or any business I would need to (or not) do on that date. This is a new item that just popped up in the last week, so people are just asking how to rid it from the calendar, keeping the holidays we'd like. The feedback link? Helpful. The rest of the post? No.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 11:15 AM in response to Yer_Man

No one is "distressed" because a Hindu holiday is in the calendar.

I would like the option of getting rid of the holidays that are not either Christian or National holidays, mostly because it affects me personally or any business I would need to (or not) do on that date. This is a new item that just popped up in the last week, so people are just asking how to rid it from the calendar, keeping the holidays we'd like. The feedback link? Helpful. The rest of the post? No.

Mar 13, 2018 9:06 AM in response to Yer_Man

About holiday calendars on iOS and macOS - https://support.apple.com/HT208541 - "Learn how to display holiday calendars in the Calendar app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac."

Use iCloud calendar subscriptions - Apple Support - https://support.apple.com/HT202361

iCloud: Delete or hide an event in iCloud Calendar - https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2684?locale=en_US

How to add calendar events to your Calendar application for OS X/Mac OS and iOS - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-12741

Mar 2, 2018 1:59 PM in response to stedman1

Unfortunately there are no calendars available for just 'US Holidays', they are including all holidays under this option. So for now only option is to not use any holidays calendar from Apple. This is too bad as the previous holidays they included under "US Holidays' was a useful calendar for that purpose. Too bad that these additional holidays are not part of a different calendar that could be optionally added for those that want it, instead of forcing them on everyone as in the current setup.

Mar 3, 2018 8:34 AM in response to iphone_user987654321

iphone_user987654321 wrote:

So for now only option is to not use any holidays calendar from Apple.

You don't have to use Apple provided holiday calendars. There are lots of them out there. You can't edit any of them but, perhaps you can find one that has only the exact holidays you want:

How to Find and Subscribe to Calendars for Just About Anything with iCalShare

Mar 5, 2018 7:26 AM in response to aekemmerer

aekemmerer wrote:

That's great that Apple is being inclusive with the various holidays and it's fine that they get pushed out as a default, but there are certain religious holidays or who cares days (April Fools) that I would like to delete or just remove the notifications for without losing all the other ones.

Editing the included calendar is not an option. You'll need to either create your own holiday calendar or find one that better meets your needs.

Mar 8, 2018 8:09 AM in response to dennisfrombellmore

dennisfrombellmore wrote:

Same problem on my macBook Pro and all iOS devices. Wish Apple would find a way to get this off the calendar since the user has no apparent control over it.

Apple put Holi there intentionally. If you don't like the holidays included on Apple's holiday calendar, you can turn it off. You can then, if you wish, download one of the many, many holiday calendars available. Note that you can't edit them, either.

Mar 8, 2018 10:58 AM in response to dennisfrombellmore

Aha, I stand corrected and embarrassed. I even looked it up before but did not find the Hindi meaning. Now it makes total sense and yes it does belong there. Thanks for setting me straight and my sincere apologies for my ignorance.

I'd never heard of it before this. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

For reasons I don't understand (possibly related to googling threads?), lots of people never seem to see the beginning of threads. I'm always concerned that people aren't seeing the answers that are already there and getting frustrated with the whole forum experience.

Best of luck!

Mar 8, 2018 11:09 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright wrote:

Aha, I stand corrected and embarrassed. I even looked it up before but did not find the Hindi meaning. Now it makes total sense and yes it does belong there. Thanks for setting me straight and my sincere apologies for my ignorance.

I'd never heard of it before this. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

I knew of it, and was surprised and pleased when I saw it on the updated calendar. Comes from the pleasure of working with a lot of Indian immigrants and residents (and their descendents) over the years, not to mention working for a company for several years owned by an Indian conglomerate. And now, in my current part time IT job (I'm officially retired) my entire development team is in Hyderabad. All of this has been an experience in understanding and respecting other cultures and approaches to life, the universe, and everything.

And most Hindu holidays are fun. Part of a different approach to life, the universe, and everything.

Mar 12, 2018 2:32 PM in response to Pixiegirlie

I just found some other "well-known US Holidays" that cropped up on my Apple Calendar - check out June 15, June 19, August 20, Sept 20, Oct 7, Nov 7. Apple needs to make this editable. In the meantime, I'm going through the calendar and adding the holidays I want (in another color, all day event) under the "official Apple Holidays." After I finish that, I'll turn off Apple Holidays.

Strange holiday in US Holidays Calendar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.