Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

storage bug after installing High Sierra...consuming 160GB...no available space

After installing update High Sierra my Mac Book Pro 13 is presenting a problem of available storage. the system files now are consuming 160GB of the computer and no available space exists. I have to reinstall the system but it did not work to solve the problem. Apple is recommending to reformat the computer, but I have too many things connected on this computer and I would like not to do that, after all that is all my stuff and apple in principle cause the problem with the new update. I would ask Apple to correct the bug and issue a new update to solve the problem without the need to reformat the computer.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 8:20 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 27, 2018 8:30 AM in response to marcosfromvalinhos

The sizes presented under "about this mac" are estimates based on Spotlight indexing of your drive. Immediately after a major upgrade or re-install, they have drifted far off course because of all the system files added or changed.

To get them closer to reality, re-index your Mac. within a few hours, those sizes will be much more accurate.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 27, 2018 8:31 AM in response to marcosfromvalinhos

The Storage tab does not always report correctly. Look in About this Mac > System Report > Storage. Also check by choosing your Mac HD and "Get Info" (command-i). It may be different. Try rebuilding Spotlight index.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Some of the space may also be from Time Machine Snapshots.

About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

After you've freed up some space download Omni DiskSweeper:

https://www.omnigroup.com/more

DiskSweeper can give you a more accurate read of disk space than Finder or Storage Tab of About this Mac. Itcan also show you the precise size and location of all your files..It can also give you a more accurate read of disk space than Finder or Storage Tab of About this Mac. Itcan show you the precise size and location of all your files. It will inventory your disk starting from the files that take up the most space. It can also give you a more accurate read of disk space than Finder or Storage Tab of About this Mac. If you want you can even delete files from OmniDisk Sweeper. But be careful some of the items may be important to your system.

For information about the Other category in the Storage display, please see Apple Support Topic

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202867

Also, empty the Trash if you haven't already done so. If you use iPhoto, empty its internal Trash first:

iPhoto Empty Trash

In Photos: File Show Recently Deleted Delete All

Feb 27, 2018 9:25 AM in response to macjack

Hi mackjack

I have made contact with apple support and this person confirms the problem of storage space. The problem does not seems to be precision but a kind of a bug that shows wrongly the storage system and because of that my computer does not have available space to run correctly. I will try to do all the suggestions and then return here. Thanks in advance.

storage bug after installing High Sierra...consuming 160GB...no available space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.