Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Mid-2012 Short Circuit?

So, I have a fully functional laptop and I was using it for a presentation. Due to a low battery percentage (about 19%), I plugged the power adapter to charge. While charging, I plugged in a Thunderbolt adapter to HDMI and HDMI to VGA (for the projector) and so I continued with the presentation. I also charged my phone using a USB cable into my laptop. It worked just as fine for about an hour, and then the laptop suddenly shut down.

Can anybody help? Thank you.

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 9:17 AM

1. Fully charge the the battery.

2. Reset SMC. Choose the method for “If the battery is non-removable”.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

3. Test

2 replies

Feb 27, 2018 9:36 AM in response to nppap

Non-Retina?

I've had a complete freeze before which I believe was triggered by the use of a non-MFi Lightning cable. Whole thing just flashed quickly and shut down. Nothing worked including the battery indicator light when I pressed the button. MagSafe light was completely off. No fans. I couldn't force a power down, and I don't even think was really powered up or down, but in some sort of state of purgatory. Hard drive (before I switched to an SSD) was quiet. I tried the SMC reset but nothing worked. About the only thing that I could tell was there was some faint electronic buzzing sound. I did take it to an Apple Store without an appointment and was told maybe come back in the morning to put my name on the waiting list.

What ended up working was taking the cover off and popping off the battery connector and plugging it back in like an old-style SMC reset. I figured my other alternative was maybe to wait for the battery to completely discharge, but that could have required getting into a deep-discharge state.

I'd say if you're near an Apple Store see if you can get an appointment. If you're comfortable with a #00 Phillips screwdriver then you could try the DIY fix. These instructions (steps 1-3 cover everything needed for a battery connector removal) are for the Unibody MBPs.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 RAM Replacement - iFixit

Macbook Pro Mid-2012 Short Circuit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.