Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Shutdown or Restart After Attempting 10.13.3 Supplemental Update

After attempting to install the 10.13.3 Supplemental Update from the App Store, my mid-2010 MacBook Pro will no longer Restart, Shutdown, or Sleep from the Finder menu or logon screen. Instead, I get a black screen with the cursor in the upper left hand corner when I shutdown or restart. The only way to shutdown my Mac is to hold down the power button. The problem seemed to originate after the 10.13.3 Supplemental update requested a restart.

The problem remains even after I reset the PRAM, SMC, rebuilt the LaunchServices database, and did two clean installs of OSX using Command-R when starting my Mac. After re-installing OSX, the App Store still indicates that I need to install the 10.13.3 Supplemental update.

Using Terminal, I can perform a clean shutdown and restart using the commands "sudo shutdown -h now" and "sudo shutdown -r now".

Has anyone else experienced this issue and have a solution?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 8:40 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 27, 2018 3:25 PM in response to scottmil

After numerous unsuccessful suggested fixes, I found a solution on the web that worked for me by deleting caches and doing some font maintenance:

iMac not shutting down since upgrading to OS X 10.11, El Capitan - Ask Different

rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/*

rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/*

sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/*

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*

atsutil databases -removeUser

sudo atsutil databases -remove

sudo atsutil server -shutdown

sudo atsutil server -ping

sudo rm -rf /var/folders/*

Can't Shutdown or Restart After Attempting 10.13.3 Supplemental Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.