Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a microsd card on my surface as the primary source for itunes.

My surface Pro 3 is of course out of memory. I would like to move itunes entirely to a mircosd card I leave in the computer. When i sync my phone, or play music, I want it to be going through the microSd card. Is this possible, and how do I exactly do it?

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 10:11 AM

Yep, move the whole iTunes folder, then shift-start-iTunes to connect to the iTunes Library.itl file inside it from the new path. This assumes that the library is in the standard shape with all media inside the iTunes Media folder which in turn is inside your main iTunes folder. The user tip explains how to manipulate the library into this layout if required.

tt2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 10:11 AM in response to dknop461

Yep, move the whole iTunes folder, then shift-start-iTunes to connect to the iTunes Library.itl file inside it from the new path. This assumes that the library is in the standard shape with all media inside the iTunes Media folder which in turn is inside your main iTunes folder. The user tip explains how to manipulate the library into this layout if required.

tt2

Feb 27, 2018 10:01 AM in response to dknop461

Apple's 6 pages of exhaustively meticulous step-by-step instructions: How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - https://support.apple.com/HT204318 Use this if you suspect any of your media are not in the standard location (iTunes Media folder).

My one-sentence summary if you always use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive, hold down the option/alt key (shift on Windows) while starting iTunes, and when requested to select a library select the iTunes Library.itl file in the copied folder (Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - https://support.apple.com/HT201596).

Can I use a microsd card on my surface as the primary source for itunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.