Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get WiFi calling to work on Apple Watch?

I can get WiFi calling to work on my Apple Watch. It is a series 3 with GPS and LTE running the latest version of WatchOS. Also WiFi Calling is enabled on my phone and works, additionally Allow Other Devices is enables on the phone and I can make calls on my Mac even if the phone is off. There is no option under Phone in the Watch App to enable WiFi Calling. Additionally if I turn off the cellular radio on there watch and leave the phone turned off, calling features are disabled. Even on WiFi when cellular is enabled, it connects to the cell network to make a call. My carrier is Sprint and they say my account is properly provisioned.

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 11:49 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Feb 27, 2018 2:01 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well, I had thought of that. However, I don't think that is supposed to be the case, I think there is supposed to be an option there, I say that because of the "Remove a device" section of the above mentioned help URL where it says:

If you don't want to use Wi-Fi Calling from one of your devices, you can remove it:

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Phone > Calls on Other devices.
  2. In the list of devices, turn off Wi-Fi Calling for the device that you want to remove.

To turn off Wi-Fi Calling on your Apple Watch, go to the Watch App on your iPhone, tap My Watch, tap Phone, then turn off Wi-Fi Calling.

I have highlighted the relevant line, where it specifically says that in "My Watch" under "Phone" there should be toggle for WiFi Calling, and it is missing. Of course, I want mine turned on, but that line says there should be a toggle, doesn't it? I'm going to try to do a backup and full reset of both phone and watch as entirely new devices, and see if that helps.

Feb 27, 2018 1:53 PM in response to TitanShadow

It does not appear from anything that I have read that there is a setting on the Apple Watch for you to turn on Wi-Fi calling. Seems that you turn that on for the iPhone and then you just need to be signed into the same iCloud account. The watch would need to be connected to a known wi-fi network. From there, you should be able to make the call. The only other setting may be in the Watch app, Phone and set it to Mirror the iPhone settings.

Feb 27, 2018 2:25 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I agree, and I'm perfectly OK with the idea that it comes from the phone, that makes perfect sense. However, when I actually attempt to use WiFi calling it does not work (where as on the phone or on the Mac it does work). Since I know the WiFi Network is compatible with WiFi Calling (other devices work) I can only conclude that somehow it is not working on the watch for some reason.

Right now I'm still in the process of configuring the watch as an entirely new watch (it was an upgrade from a non LTE compatible device) and then I hope it works from there.

Feb 27, 2018 3:24 PM in response to TitanShadow

So, I confirmed with Sprint that my phone and watch are both provisioned for WiFi Calling. Then, I unpaired the watch from the phone / wiped it out. Next I wiped out the phone back to factory defaults. I then set up the phone as a new phone (not restoring from backup) and the same to the watch (new watch, not restoring from backup).

Same issue. The Apple Watch still sill not do WiFi Calling, if it does not have a cell signal (as it does not where I work), it cannot make phone calls. The phone can, but the watch cannot. This is very frustrating.

Feb 27, 2018 5:05 PM in response to Lyssa

Lyssa wrote:

Have you tried WiFi calling somewhere with open wifi, such as a Starbucks? I wonder if there could be something on your work network preventing the feature from working correctly.

~Lyssa

I had that thought too. I tried on my home network, I even tried it with the network firewall temporarily turned off. I tried it at my school, my work, and at a friends house as well. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem.

How do I get WiFi calling to work on Apple Watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.