Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch App updates

I want to disable "Automatic App Install" on my Apple Watch, but I am concerned that I may not receive updates to my existing apps. I absolutely do not want new apps installed on my Apple watch. Is this possible when "Automatic App Install" is disabled?

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 10:34 AM

Hi

You are correct in noting that enabling Automatic App Install enables automatic installation, on your Apple Watch, of updates to installed apps:

The implications, in respect of app updates, of disabling the feature are not clear.

I suggest that you contact Apple Support for clarification:

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 10:34 AM in response to jms703

Hi

You are correct in noting that enabling Automatic App Install enables automatic installation, on your Apple Watch, of updates to installed apps:

The implications, in respect of app updates, of disabling the feature are not clear.

I suggest that you contact Apple Support for clarification:

Feb 27, 2018 11:21 AM in response to Jonathan UK

I reached out to Apple Support on Twitter. This is the response:

Based on the wording for this particular setting within the Apple Watch app, turning that feature off will just prevent any new apps from being installed on your Apple Watch. If you have Automatic Downloads enabled via Settings > iTunes & App Stores on your paired iPhone, any new updates would still be pushed through to your Apple Watch.

So, apps installed on the Apple Watch will continue to receive updates even after turning off "Automatic Install Apps" in the Watch app on the iPhone.

Feb 27, 2018 9:47 AM in response to jms703

jms703 wrote:

I want to disable "Automatic App Install" on my Apple Watch, but I am concerned that I may not receive updates to my existing apps. I absolutely do not want new apps installed on my Apple watch. Is this possible when "Automatic App Install" is disabled?

Automatic App Install has nothing to do with updates, rather with the installation of the original app.

Feb 27, 2018 10:32 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks Chris. I was hoping that was true, but the wording in HT204784 says:

Any updates to apps on your iPhone, or any future app purchases, will also automatically install. Here's how to turn this feature on or off:

This leads me to conclude that turning this feature off, turns off both updates and future app installs. Is the article wording incorrect?

Apple Watch App updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.