Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Walmart refurbished apple ipad 2017 model? Who refurbishes Walmarts Apple Products??

Hey there everyone quick question I found a really decent deal on the 2017 ipad 9.7 $246 and some change on Walmart.com I've bought a few new Apple products from Walmart over the years but my question is....Are they refurbished by Apple this particular item is sold and shipped by Walmart not a third party seller.... I'm just wanting some input on this please thanks again everyone!!

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 9:58 AM

25 replies

Feb 27, 2018 3:44 PM in response to Mountaineer26537

Mountaineer26537 wrote:

What about buying a brand new iPad from Walmart.com and picking it up in store and using my coupon on a new one they have them on sale for $279.99...

Do you think I'd be better off that way?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-Wi-Fi-32GB-Space-Gray/653976754

Walmart never has any sale items per se. They might have price drops, but I've never heard of that happening with Apple devices.

However, they do apparently price match, including prices on Bestbuy.com. You might be able to combine their price match with their coupon. It would have to be in person though, and they would have to have it in stock at the particular store you visit. You can see if there's free pickup at a particular store, which would indicate they have at least one (unless someone else buys the last one). This might be the best deal you can find.

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31/~/walmart.coms-price-matching -policy

* The following limitations apply:

• The item must be identical, (i.e., size, model, quantity, brand, color)
  • The item must be in-stock at the online retailer's website and on Walmart.com at the time of the price match request
  • We will price match one item per customer per day (limit does not apply to orders to New Mexico, unless the purchase is for resale)
  • We will not offer rain-checks for items that are not currently in stock
  • The item must be sold and fulfilled by one of these online retailers:
    Academy.com, Amazon.com, Autozone.com, Babiesrus.com, Basspro.com, Bedbathandbeyond.com, Bestbuy.com, Cabelas.com, Chewy.com, Dickssportinggoods.com, Dollargeneral.com, Familydollar.com, Homedepot.com, Jcpenny.com, Kmart.com, Kohls.com, Lowes.com, Michaels.com, Newegg.com, Officedepot.com, Oreillyauto.com, Pepboys.com, Petco.com, Petsmart.com, Sears.com, SportsAuthority.com, Staples.com, Target.com, Toysrus.com, Walgreens.com

Feb 27, 2018 10:18 AM in response to Mountaineer26537

It is not Apple. Apple OEM refurbished items are available from the Apple refurbished item store only.

Walmart, Amazon and others offering “refurbished” are contracting with their own third party “refurbisher”. The warranty they offer is also not an Apple warranty but either through them or their contractor. As to what ”refurbishment“ actually means in these third party cases, you’d have to ask them about it.

I‘d also add that looking at Walmart’s web site, their refurbished Apple products are not being sold by Walmart itself, but by Walmart web resellers. On Amazon, you will find both Amason reseller refurbished items, but Amazon itself also sells (and warranties) their own refurbished products. Again though none of these are Apple OEM refurbished items.

Feb 27, 2018 11:03 AM in response to Michael Black

Michael Black wrote:

I‘d also add that looking at Walmart’s web site, their refurbished Apple products are not being sold by Walmart itself, but by Walmart web resellers. On Amazon, you will find both Amason reseller refurbished items, but Amazon itself also sells (and warranties) their own refurbished products. Again though none of these are Apple OEM refurbished items.

Some are being sold directly by Walmart (it will say "sold & shipped by Walmart"). Those are easy to tell in the search results where free store pickup is available, and maybe 2-day shipping. It kind of complicated though. Some seem to have the M part numbers, while others have odd RB part numbers.

Apple iPad 2 9.7-inch 16GB Wi-Fi, Black (Refurbished Grade A) - Walmart.com

Refurbished Apple iPad 5th Gen WiFi 32GB - Silver - Walmart.com

Feb 27, 2018 11:24 AM in response to Mountaineer26537

Nothing on that page actual states that Apple had anything at all to do with refurbishing that item. Note that Apple refurbished products come with a standard Apple one year warranty and are eligible for extended warranties through Apple. So if Apple refurbished these, why isn’t that information clearly listed?

To my knowledge, in 20+ years Apple has only offered Apple OEM refurbished items directly from Apple - no other reseller has ever had Apple OEM refurbished items to sell.

Feb 27, 2018 2:24 PM in response to Michael Black

*** Your absolutely right I'm confused I can purchase of for 246 plus I have a 40 dollar off Walmart coupon, I've tried to research extensively it dosnt seem like any user reviews have experienced any issues with the refurbished models that's been sold by Walmart and not by third party sellers, is there any actual way to find out?

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

Feb 27, 2018 2:20 PM in response to Mountaineer26537

Mountaineer26537 wrote:

Your absolutely right I'm confused I can purchase of for 246 plus I have a 40 dollar off Walmart coupon, I've tried to research extensively it dosnt seem like any user reviews have experienced any issues with the refurbished models that's been sold by Walmart and not by third party sellers, is there any actual way to find out?

I suspect that's been tinkered by someone other than Apple. If that's the case then Apple won't provide any hardware support if you ever need it. If you needed a new battery then you would probably need to get an aftermarket replacement, while Apple would normally provide a replacement as their "battery service".

If you're really looking to get one then Best Buy has new iPads on sale at $60 off. I'd really recommend that over a questionable "refurb" from Walmart. I'm sure you can find something to spend that $40 coupon on.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-latest-model-with-wifi-32gb-space-gray/4 907703.p?skuId=4907703

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

Feb 27, 2018 7:04 PM in response to Mountaineer26537

Mountaineer26537 wrote:

Walmart just had them for 279.99 and the last one of that deal sold they just went back to 329.99 lol...

I don't know about seeing that. A lot of those prices are for 3rd parties and changes depending on which one has it in stock. It could be gray-market or maybe even used. I took another look at that, and now it's says $280.99 sold by "Tech Max" with $29.99 shipping. However, under "Compare all sellers" I see Apple's MRSP of $329 for Walmart itself. Walmart never really has anything on sale unless it's a Black Friday special or something at a clearance price. I've never heard of them having any deal like that for anything made by Apple.

Having a physical Walmart store price match Best Buy is probably the only way you're going to get a full warranty iPad and apply that coupon.

Feb 27, 2018 8:07 PM in response to Michael Black

Well, I purchased an iPhone SE, 32 GBs for my wife through Walmart.com in early January 2018 for $160 and tax.

I am getting ready to go to my “local” Apple Store tomorrow to see if I can purchase AppleCare+ for it.

The Model ID is an M number, not an A number.

So, I have to assume this is a refurbished model?

I am going to see if Apple will honor this iPhone and allow me to purchase AppleCare for it.

If Apple doesn’t honor this iPhone, I am basically screwed for any care plan as Walmart only gives you 30 days from purchase to get a protection plan and I am already past that date, as I just checked.

Didn’t think Walmart would be problematic for Apple Products.

If I use Walmart, again, for my iPhone, I will have to keep all of this is mind, next time ‘round.

Walmart refurbished apple ipad 2017 model? Who refurbishes Walmarts Apple Products??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.