Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speak Screen Function Bug

I’m getting an odd bug. Speak Screen will work for me initially on the Kindle app until I got midway through the text (i.e. book) then it began reading text starting from the middle of the page. I can't get it to start from the top of the page once again for continuous reading. Anyone have a fix for this issue?

I have an:

Device: iPhone 7

iOS: 11.2.1

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 10:57 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 8, 2018 8:30 AM in response to bocciaman

I haven't used the speak screen option to read a book for a long time, but since I'm having the issue on both the iPad Air 2 and my iPhone SE, in both Kindle and iBooks, it looks like it's an issue with the iOS updates.

Taking Brainsyddall's advise below, I discovered that now you can say "Hey Siri, speak the screen," but it only reads the screen it is on. It'd be another pain to have to manually turn the page and keep repeating the command. So he must be an Apple Engineer, because, although he supplied correct information, it was useless in resolving this issue.

I went to http://apple.com/feedback and discovered there is no option for Siri or iOS feedback that I could find. So I submitted it as a bug report in iBooks and requested to be able to say "Hey Siri, read my book" and for it to remember where we left off last time. Although I seldom use iBooks because I prefer to get my books from Amazon's Kindle Store, if Apple makes the iOS to let us ask Siri to read the book, we could then put in the request for Amazon to update the Kindle app to use Siri to read theirs. I do know they will prefer us to buy AudioBooks, and I am an AudioBooks member, but there are several authors who don't have their books in AudioBook format.

I vaguely remember putting in the "Siri Read my book" request several years ago, but they haven't done it yet. They always say they take our feedback seriously, but apparently there has to be a ton of the same requests before anything gets added.

I also noticed in the list of devices for the iPhone, they've removed the SE, even though they're still selling them on their website. Even in the User's Guide for iOS 11.2, if you tap on the iPhone SE in the Table of Contents, it takes you to the iPhone 6.

I'll let you know if anything changes.

Mathis...

Mar 6, 2018 9:01 PM in response to bocciaman

I just updated to 11.2.6 on both my iPhone SE and my iPad Air 2 right after it came out. The Kindle app updated on 2-21-18 according to my iPhone.

I can start the screen reading at the top of the page on either device and it will read to the bottom of the page, and then it will go to the next page, but instead of starting at the top of the page like it’s supposed to, it just reads the last paragraph of the next page, then goes to the next page and reads just the last paragraph. It doesn’t matter whether I have it in Landscape Mode or Portrait Mode on the iPad.

I deleted the app from the iPad powered it off, then back on and reinstalled Kindle. It didn’t make a difference.

Wondering if it’s an issue with the Kindle App or the device, I opened a different book in iBooks on my iPad and tried it. I had the book in Landscape Mode because I have a USB keyboard, so I hardly ever put it in Portrait Mode, and it read the first page, then skipped to the third page at the end of the first page.

I flipped it over to Portrait Mode, but didn’t stop it. It skipped the next page and continued reading correctly on the page I was on. I let it read through two more pages and it worked fine.

Now I just went back to the iPhone and opened up the Kindle App and tried it. The screen popped up to read and then crashed. The voice read two words before it crashed. I powered it off and back on and opened a Note and it didn’t read anything, but it did pop up and crash.

Tried to read a webpage in Safari, and it read it fine.

Guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet, make a screen recording of it, and call support.

Mar 7, 2018 11:26 PM in response to Mathis Rogers

Thank you for confirming that I was not the only one having this problem with this Speak Screen feature. I especially appreciate the portion of your message where you discuss the Speak Screen starts "screen reading at the top of the page on either device and it will read to the bottom of the page, and then it will go to the next page, but instead of starting at the top of the page like it’s supposed to, it just reads the last paragraph of the next page, then goes to the next page and reads just the last paragraph."

Just so you know, I haven't been able to solve this problem either so far.Tomorrow I will take a look at what iOS version my iPad Air 2 has and see if it does any better. Lastly, I'm not sure if this is a Kindle app problem or an iOS update problem. If anyone has any ideas, please reply to this thread.

Mar 8, 2018 6:49 PM in response to bocciaman

I just spoke to a friend of mine who has an iPhone 6. Although he has an iPhone 6, and he recently upgraded to 11.2.6, he was unaware that you can get the iPhone to read the screen, but he does use the Kindle App to read books from Amazon. He doesn’t have any iBooks, so we couldn’t test it, but when he swipped down to read a Kindle Book, it finished the first page, then turned the page like it should, but only read the last paragraph and then went to the next page and read the last paragraph, turned the page, then just read the last paragaph again. So it’s looking like an issue with 11.2.6. Did you find out what version you have on the iPad Air 2? I have another friend who has an iPad Air 2 and I just upgraded it to 11.2.6 for her Monday. I’ll have her test it tomorrow to see if she has the same issue since she does read her Kindle books on it. She doesn’t have any iBooks, either, I don’t think.

Mar 9, 2018 9:42 AM in response to bocciaman

Well, the plot thickens. I remembered that I have an iPhone 5 that I no longer use. It won't upgrade passed iOS 10.3.3. So I just downloaded the Kindle App and opened the book I'm reading and had Siri read the screen. Again, it read the first page fine and then turned to the next page and only read the last paragraph and turned the page and only read the last paragraph.

So I opened up a book in iBooks and it read pages correctly.

Then I went back to my iPhone SE and opened the same book in iBooks and it read correctly.

Back to the iPad and the Kindle App read the first page and then turned the page and read the last paragraph only, then turned the page and read the last paragraph only.

I opened another book in the iBook App on the iPad and put it in another book and it worked correctly.

Maybe it is an issue with the latest version of the Kindle App, after all. But the app doesn't read the screen, it's the device.

I just went to the App comments in the App Store and someone else mentioned the same issue there 23 hours ago.

Speak Screen Function Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.