Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail: Chinese Characters Show as Hebrew

Using Mail on a MacBook Pro with 10.13.3 High Sierra. Mail is version 11.2

Accounts include 2 IMAP accounts, iCloud email and an Exchange account. The Exchange account is a company account that has a lot of people in China. They send email with their name in English and/or Chinese. In the preview pane, it shows the name correctly in both languages. In the detail page, the Chinese characters display incorrectly.

Screenshot 2018-02-27 08.06.06.png

User uploaded file

You can see on the left, the name is in correct simplified Chinese. On the right, the full email shows it as garbage, or perhaps Hebrew. The rest of the email can show simplified Chinese.

I have tried changing the 'smart names' selection from off to on, no change. I see the writing orientation varies from left to right to 'default' but I don't know how to set this for experiments.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 9:25 AM

Do you see this problem with any emails other than those from Exchange?

In any case, Apple is always trying to improve Mail's compatibility with that system, so you should report the bug via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 28, 2018 8:51 AM in response to jerryfromhoboken

I am trying not to use Microsoft office/outlook. Thats an expensive solution, and one which doesn't address what I would consider to be a bug. Why should Mail correctly display the Chinese characters in one view and do it incorrectly in another view? I can't see how you can blame Exchange for this...there is only one email sent, right? a digest is not sent separately with different values is it?

Mail: Chinese Characters Show as Hebrew

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.