Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Recovery over Ethernet on MacBook Pro 2017

Good evening everyone.

I’d like to ask you, is it normal that Internet Recovery Opt+Cmd+R over Ethernet takes nearly an hour to boot (sometimes even more, sometimes it drops down and in general is very unreliable) when same Internet Recovery over WiFi works like charm and takes less than 4 min to boot???

I’m talking about same network from my Time Capsule, I’m using MacBookPro14,3 USB-C only and I tried 2 different USB-C Gigabit Ethernet adapters, one from Epico (in USB-C Hub) other is Belkin officially purchased from Apple Store. Of course I tried to change Ethernet cables already. But otherwise they work fine only Internet Recovery is problem.

Can you explain please if Recovery over Ethernet is very different from Recovery over WiFi? Can you suggest USB-C Ethernet solution which works?

Thanks a lot for pointing to some source of information... have good evening, bye.

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 6:51 AM

I found the Solution!

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 + Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapters(Both made by Apple)

With this combination of connecting Ethernet over two adapters to one of your USB-C port everything works like charm. Internet Recovery boots fast and installation is stable.

On the other hand it's pretty weird that Apple sells something officially on Apple Store (I'm talking about Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter) which doesn't really work for Apple's Key Services what Internet Recovery certainly is!

Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter by Apple have Vendor Name: Apple Inc., Vendor ID: 0x1 and Product ID: 0x8003 instead of Realtek Semiconductor used in Belkin's Adapter which probably makes difference. It seems like Realtek ethernet chipset is the thing which is causing the problems.

I think that Apple should take care of this it self and at least provide it's own USB-C to Ethernet Adapter which works properly, when they left us just with 4 USB-C ports and nothing else on these days MacBooks. This adapter to adapter to adapter ... chains is not really a fancy solution.

Have great day everyone, bye.

Manoli

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 6:51 AM in response to Manolis_from_Prague

I found the Solution!

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 + Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapters(Both made by Apple)

With this combination of connecting Ethernet over two adapters to one of your USB-C port everything works like charm. Internet Recovery boots fast and installation is stable.

On the other hand it's pretty weird that Apple sells something officially on Apple Store (I'm talking about Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter) which doesn't really work for Apple's Key Services what Internet Recovery certainly is!

Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter by Apple have Vendor Name: Apple Inc., Vendor ID: 0x1 and Product ID: 0x8003 instead of Realtek Semiconductor used in Belkin's Adapter which probably makes difference. It seems like Realtek ethernet chipset is the thing which is causing the problems.

I think that Apple should take care of this it self and at least provide it's own USB-C to Ethernet Adapter which works properly, when they left us just with 4 USB-C ports and nothing else on these days MacBooks. This adapter to adapter to adapter ... chains is not really a fancy solution.

Have great day everyone, bye.

Manoli

Feb 28, 2018 6:07 AM in response to y_p_w

Just to give some more information both of my USB-C Ethernet adapters even though one is Epico USB-C hub and other is Belkin USB-C Gigabit Ethernet adapter from Apple Store, both are using same chipset with Product ID: 0x8153 and Vendor ID: 0x0bda (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.) just one Manufacturer is Realtek and other one is Belkin. Anyway none of them works for Internet Recovery, any idea why?

Internet Recovery over Ethernet on MacBook Pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.