Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone identify this 2009 24" iMac graphics issue?

User uploaded file

I have an early 2009 24" iMac, Model A1225, EMC 2267 with severe graphics display issues. See picture attached. I get vertical and horizontal banding, cursor and image ghosting effects, etc. all the time. This is the base 2.66 GHz model with the GPU built in to the logic board. I have replaced the logic board, RAM, and PRAM battery with no change/improvement. What else can I do to restore this machine to working order? Machine was wiped clean to factory with OSX Yosemite 10.10.15. It works fine except for the display. Hardware test says nothing is wrong. Please help. I'm not a computer guru, but very handy, so details on what to try next would help me greatly. Thank you.

iMac, A1225

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 3:22 PM

Can you confirm that the graphics problem didn't change when you installed a different logic board? Did you see the same vertical bars along with the other oddities?

If you take a screenshot of the entire desktop does this issue appear in the screenshot image too? You may have to transfer or email the file to a working system to ensure that you can differentiate between the issue on the internal display versus what appears in the screenshot file. If it shows up in the screenshot file then that rules out the LCD display as the problem and points to the graphics circuitry on the logic board.

Also, are you able to connect an external display to further verify the logic board's on board graphics? If the issue persists with an external display then that indicates you have a problem with the logic board (assuming that a supported OS version is in use). If the issue is not present on the external display then it indicates you probably have an issue with the LCD display or the cabling that is attached to it since almost everything else has been ruled out.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 3:22 PM in response to hershpersh

Can you confirm that the graphics problem didn't change when you installed a different logic board? Did you see the same vertical bars along with the other oddities?

If you take a screenshot of the entire desktop does this issue appear in the screenshot image too? You may have to transfer or email the file to a working system to ensure that you can differentiate between the issue on the internal display versus what appears in the screenshot file. If it shows up in the screenshot file then that rules out the LCD display as the problem and points to the graphics circuitry on the logic board.

Also, are you able to connect an external display to further verify the logic board's on board graphics? If the issue persists with an external display then that indicates you have a problem with the logic board (assuming that a supported OS version is in use). If the issue is not present on the external display then it indicates you probably have an issue with the LCD display or the cabling that is attached to it since almost everything else has been ruled out.

Feb 27, 2018 1:22 PM in response to hershpersh

Before proceeding any further replacing hardware, check to make sure that you are using the proper version of Mac OS X for your system. Strange things can happen when using unsupported or the incorrect graphics drivers. Do you have the original Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard install DVD's that came with your iMac? Does the same issue occur when you boot from the install DVD? If not, then you may want to pursue the possibility of a driver incompatibility issue causing the problem.

The washed out vertical bars corresponding to the contrast changes of the dock icons indicates to me a possible LCD driver issue. I would normally check the LCD to logic board connection too, but since you've already replaced the MLB I suspect you already tried that.

Did this issue suddenly occur after an OS update or some other action, or has the issue been gradually getting worse over time? That info may also provide clues about the issue.

Feb 28, 2018 12:37 PM in response to iCare

Thank you for your response, iCare. I went ahead and erased the machine again and reinstalled (extended, journaled) the original OSX 10.5 dvd. No change. I reinstalled all factory applications too. No change. So I ran the software update and installed all available updates. No change. Booting from the original dvd made no difference either. So, I went ahead and installed the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 upgrade from the original dvd and still no change. The lines just appeared one day and have gotten worse very quickly. There was no recent update that triggered it that I am aware of. After all of these changes I ran the hardware test and still nothing came up. Any other ideas or should I give up on it? Thank you for your time. I was really hoping to fix this machine to use as my 15 year old MacBook Pro is dying again for the last time.

Mar 1, 2018 11:17 AM in response to iCare

Brilliant!! I took a screen shot and emailed it to another computer and it displays perfectly with no screen lines on another computer. You've narrowed it down to the video cable or LCD! Wow, thank you! I'll double check the cable connections again, then replace the cable if there is no change. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I will replace the entire LCD. Thank you so very much for your wisdom!!

Can someone identify this 2009 24" iMac graphics issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.