Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone will not let me delte the update. If I can it keeps redownloading it. How do I stop this?

iPhone will not let me delete the update. If I can it keeps redownloading it. How do I fix this?

iPhone keeps pushing their updates. As a client I could care less. All I use my phone for is to call people and maybe Google Maps for driving. They keep saying "security updates" but when I go research them their little things like visual glitches. Thus useless in my eyes. I could care less. As a client I am not required to update it. Over 800 mb of my phone is going towards this update and taking up precious space. My phone isn't that big and it takes up over a 1/4 of my storage. How do I delete it. I went to settings, manage storage, software update, delete. I clicked delete and it does not delete it.

I tried deleting the update through settings but it will not let me. If I am successful it just redownloads it. Not sure how I vary rarely if at all connect it to the computer or wifi. Which makes me wonder if it is done through cell data.

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 12:49 PM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2018 12:56 PM in response to sierra12457

You could try disabling automatic downloads, although I doubt that would help. See this article for more information: Turn on Automatic Downloads for iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store purchases - Apple Support

On another note, there's really no reason to not update your iPhone. If you don't want to, that's fine, but there are some helpful updates, such as iOS 11.2.2, which mitigated the effects of Spectre. Spectre was a huge security threat to all Apple devices, and, according to Apple's official security documentation, it was successfully mitigated by iOS Update 11.2.2. You can read about the specific security content of iOS (and MacOS) updates here: Apple security updates - Apple Support

For details on the Spectre attack (not how to do it, but what it did), see the official report.

Iphone will not let me delte the update. If I can it keeps redownloading it. How do I stop this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.