Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime - camera is being used by another application

Hello,

I have an iPhone 6s. I am also an avid Clash Royale player. Within the last few months, my phone heats up and slows down and the slowing down part is very noticeable when playing Clash Royale. At first I thought nothing of it. Having an almost-4-year-old phone, I sort of expected this behavior as software continues to progress and the hardware is stuck in 2015. I would normally just hard reset my phone and viola, no more lag. As this issue continues to happen about 1-3 times a week, I've noticed my solution only works about 75% of the time. As in, when my phone is back on, the lag persists and then eventually goes away on its own. The paranoid me was thinking I am hacked and someone is screen sharing me or using my camera or something! I went to download an activity monitor app via the app store, and I couldn't find a good free one so I just went back to playing Clash Royale.

Then one night, I was face-timing with my dad, helping him set up some cryptocurrency exchange accounts (he is not very tech-savvy so this took HOURS). I was reading something online to him via safari so I was not actually on facetime watching the feed, but when I double clicked the home button to get back to FaceTime, the screen was grayed out with some digital/pixelated noise and a notification that said "Your camera is being used by another application". After about 3 seconds it returned to normal.

I noticed someone posted about this issue almost 3 years ago already but I am wondering if anyone else is still having this problem? Do you think I was compromised or is my phone just getting old? Also, whats the best iOS activity monitor anyone can recommend? And would an activity monitor app even reveal malicious apps or can malicious apps be "hidden" from the OS? (in which case I wont even waste time with an activity monitor)

Thanks for any help/insight,

Mike

sidenote: this happened in late 2017 so I am not sure which version of iOS I had. I normally keep up to date so I either had the last version of 11.1 or the first version of 11.2.

iOS 11.2, happened late 2017

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 12:15 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Facetime - camera is being used by another application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.