Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Failure (No User) - Advice?

Got my brand new iMac yesterday and had a **** of a time getting Migration Assistant to run correctly - it would get down to ten minutes and then hang there forever.

0) Both the admin accounts of my old computer an the new computer (I set up the new computer before I migrated from the old because I didn't know any better shared the same name, which w will call NAME for simplicity's sake.

1) The first time I ran it captured the majority of my fils and then got hung-up, so I ended the migration.

2) I went into Users and removed the 'new' user.

3) Removing the new user failed to remove the transferred files under Users. Despite Migration Assistant prompting me to give the old account a different name (because it shared one with the new account), the user files were labeled NAME (new account) and NAME 1. I didn't think much of this, and assumed it was because the MA process never finished. I deleted the NAME 1 folder manually.

4) I tried to do the migration in stages. First stage was Applications. This went fine - they all installed, MA did not create a new user.

5) Attempted to install just my documents (the second option in the MA list). This attempt failed, with the MA de-syncing so completely it didn't notice when I unplugged the ethernet cord. The MA once again did not create a new user, but it did create a user folder called NAME 1. Once again I deleted it.

6) I let MA run over night, once again migrating only the second option. Woke up to find it had worked - but still no new account. Once again, under User, there is NAME 1.

7) I ran the MA on more time, this time final two options (Other Fils and Folders, and things like Printer drivers). Success.

8) Still no new user.

HELP) I am unclear how to get access to my transferred files. How do I make NAME 1 an accessible user account?

Things That Have Not Worked

1) Restarting My Computer 2) Creating a new user with the old name (I can do NAME1, I can't do NAME 1)
On another forum the advice was given that I should wipe my machine an start over with the migration. This is a very painful solution - this brand new $3000 machine is incapable of working properly on its very first day? Please give me a solution that isn't 'wipe the new machine and start over.'

iMac, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 2:40 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Migration Failure (No User) - Advice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.