Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't synch EITHER of two restored iPod Classics

Hi all,

Would appreciate some help. My iTunes will not synch either of two iPod classics. Here is what I have tried:

• both have been restored to factory settings through iTunes
  • both have been checked for system errors in disk mode via my laptop and no errors have been found
  • my iTunes is the latest version
  • I have restarted the computer and both iPods have been rebooted several times
  • I have tried different USB cables

THE EXACT PROBLEM:

The laptop (Windows, Lenovo, quite old!) recognises a iPod is there, iTunes opens as normal and knows the names of the iPods (before they were wiped, that is) so everything seems normal, UNTIL you click 'Synchronize' on the iPod page on iTunes - nothing happens at all, no progress metre, no sign of action, then if you double click 'synchornize' nothing happens in iTunes but the iPod screen displays the moving 'synchronising' arrows for ten seconds or so, and then just goes back to 'Connected' screen, no music has been transferred at all during any of these attempts.

HOW THIS STARTED:

This all began when a 180GB iPod classic I had been using without problems for years would skip over a couple of songs I recently added even though they played fine in iTunes and was making a slight clicking noise when I tried to select those songs. I read some suggestions online and decided it couldn't hurt to restore the iPod. Process seemed to go totally as you'd expect but as soon as it was time to use the iPod as though it was new and synch for the first time it simply wouldn't (as detailed above). After trying lots of suggestions online, I went and got out another iPod (they are both second hand but I had been keeping this one in reserve in case of any issue with the first) - this one was 80GB. Unlike before I had no choice but to restore this one as it wasn't even my music on there, but as soon as it was time to synch all the files from laptop to iPod the problem was exactly the same, which suggests this is a laptop or iTunes problem, not an iPod problem. And yet the computer is recognising them fine, and they are not showing up any system errors.

Any idea where I am going wrong? It is so sad and annoying because I now have TWO iPods that seem to work, but are totally blank, and a working iTunes account with all my music, so why there is this block on making them synch together is beyond me.

I don't want to use my phone to listen to music as streaming services don't have rare things, it runs down battery, lower bitrate, etc. so I am kind of desperate to get these working again!

I am not especially techy so if anyone spots a potential solution I would appreicate it so much if you could explain it like you would to an not very computer literate old person, maybe your parents or grandparents.

Cheers

iPod classic

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 7:55 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here but surely, if the iPods have been restored (using the iTunes Restore procedure), then you need to actually select what you want to Sync, not just hit the Sync button.

In other words, connect the iPod to iTunes, look on the Device/Settings/Music pane (1.), select what you want to Sync (i.e. Sync Entire music library, or Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres) (2. & 3.) and then tap on Sync to activate that choice.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 7:55 AM in response to charlie_a

Maybe I'm missing something here but surely, if the iPods have been restored (using the iTunes Restore procedure), then you need to actually select what you want to Sync, not just hit the Sync button.

In other words, connect the iPod to iTunes, look on the Device/Settings/Music pane (1.), select what you want to Sync (i.e. Sync Entire music library, or Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres) (2. & 3.) and then tap on Sync to activate that choice.

User uploaded file

Feb 27, 2018 12:52 PM in response to turingtest2

Will the information about corrupt iPods be relevant though when this problem is occuring in relation to TWO iPods, bot of which were working fine right up to the point they were restored to factory settings and now won't synch? As I say in my initial query, it seems unlikely to be a problem with the iPods? But I will take a closer look at the information on the link after I have had a calming walk to buy the food I have forgotten to eat while trying to sort this out

Mar 20, 2018 1:50 PM in response to the fiend

THANK YOU!!! I guess I haven;t had a new iPod in ages, and totally forgot that it needs programming to know what to synch, I was very much in the habit of hitting 'synch' on the page iTunes automatically opens.

Frustrating that I was trying so many other more complicated things, but a million thanks for spotting the gap in what I was checking for! All the best

Mar 21, 2018 6:46 AM in response to charlie_a

Glad you've got it sorted.. Now that you have told iTunes how to decide which songs to add, you don't have to do it again.

In case anyone thinks my choice of wording is odd, let me explain.

The settings that have been chosen (Sync Music/Entire Library, or Sync Music/Selected playlists etc.) tell iTunes which method to use for adding music to your device. If you have Smart Playlists in your choices, those Smart Playlists can and will change which songs are (or will be) added, according to what is in the Playlist at the time.

I trust that makes sense to everyone.

iTunes won't synch EITHER of two restored iPod Classics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.