Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie. Looking for Old Versions

Hello Apple Community,

Given that my apple computer is old and had crashed twice after OS X 11 (El Capitan) updated I decide it to leave it at OS X 10 (Yosemite) on the last repair.

Unfortunately the current version of iMovie at the Apple store 10.1.3 only installs on El Capitan or higher and the iMovie section of the website only holds a list of updates to download, not the actual software base dmg:

https://support.apple.com/downloads/imovie

If someone could share a link with a download with the base dmg of iMovie 9 or lower I would appreciate it and thanks in advance for your time and attention on the case.

-Cheers!

iMovie 10, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 5:09 PM

I have not tried this but it has been reported in this forum that if you go to the App Store, sign in with your Apple ID and then go to the purchases tab ad iMovie is listed then click on it and it will offer you the latest version of iMovie compatible with your OS. Might be worth a try. Otherwise the only option I am aware of is to go online to Amazon or other seller and purchase the iLife 11 DVD package.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 5:09 PM in response to Abetastic

I have not tried this but it has been reported in this forum that if you go to the App Store, sign in with your Apple ID and then go to the purchases tab ad iMovie is listed then click on it and it will offer you the latest version of iMovie compatible with your OS. Might be worth a try. Otherwise the only option I am aware of is to go online to Amazon or other seller and purchase the iLife 11 DVD package.

Feb 27, 2018 5:09 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

Thank you for your reply. It worked like a charm.

I went to the App Store's Purchases section and downloaded from there. Indeed I got a message saying that the latest version was not compatible but that it would download the last compatible version considering my OS.

iMovie 10.1 is now up and running on the mac in question. Again thank you very much.

Feb 27, 2018 4:03 PM in response to Abetastic

The best version of iMovie was iMovie 6HD. Sadly Apple no longer offers a download for this, but you could get it by searching eBay or Amazon for iLife version 6 which is still available on a DVD installer. Some sellers ask a lot as it is still popular, but IMO worth the money.

BUT (only a small one!) as you are running Yosemite you need to see this post from Ziatron on running iMovie 6 on Yosemity:

(Originally posted by Ziatron)

For the millions trying to use iMovie HD with Yosemite

Some people keep a separate hard drive or partition with Mavericks on it to avoid the below procedure. However, once you get the below set up, it's no big deal.

A while back, someone posted a "patch" to iMovie HD 06 that corrected the launching issue. For some reason, Apple removed the post.

Yosemite has a bug that incorrectly identifies iMovie 6 (a.k.a. iMovie HD) as not compatible. iMovie HD works fine with Yosemite.

Below is a workaround that many use until this bug is fixed.

> Find iMovie HD in your applications folder.

> Right click on it, and select “Show Package Contents”.

> You will then find a folder named "Contents”. Open it. Then open the folder named "MacOS”.

> There you will find "iMovie HD". Double-click on this, and iMovie HD will launch.

> Then create an alias. iMovie HD starts directly from the alias.

iMovie. Looking for Old Versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.