Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing a “trusted” device

I have a company iPhone 6S that is my “trusted” phone and have just bought a private iPhone 8 as I am retiring and will return the iPhone 6S. Under settings, both phones are named. What happens if I remove the iPhone 6S? It took over two hours for the shop to set up my new phone using the iCloud and Apple ID of my old phone to transfer all the photos, contacts, etc., across and I am hoping that by removing the old device, I don’t lose all the data that transferred over......can you advise me please? Thanks, Graham

iPhone 8, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 2:31 PM

1 reply

Feb 27, 2018 2:53 PM in response to Graham98

This sounds like a difficult, complicated problem to me. Here's why.

Graham98 wrote:

I have a company iPhone 6S that is my “trusted” phone ...

This sounds like a major mistake. (I'm writing this not so much for your benefit, as the deed is done ... but for other readers so they can avoid this pitfall.)

A company iPhone is exactly that ... it is owned by the employer. The employer therefore has the rights to everything on that iPhone - email, photos, apps, music, etc. Basically, these are all "owned" by the employer.

Removing the device should not pose an issue. But the idea of maintaining an Apple ID that was used on your (former) employer's iPhone may well be an issue.

You spoke of objects like photos and contacts. Perhaps you have these on your personal computer already, so maybe the employer's iPhone will be out of the new iPhone setup process. I hope so.

Removing a “trusted” device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.