Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speak Selection not working correctly

I have used Speak Selection to "read" news articles and books while working out or driving for ages. Today, it's reading the first page I start it on, progressing to the next page but begins reading at the last paragraph ignoring more than half the content on the page. I've tried with books I've been successfully reading this way as well as new ones. The problem is across the board. I'm on iOS 11.2.6

Ideas?

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 2:24 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities SwWater2004,

I see that you're having an issue when trying to have your books read to you. I understand your concern since you've used this feature before, and I'd be happy to help.

Let's have you restart the iPhone and then test to see if the issue remains.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If after restarting the issue still remains, reply back with the answers to the following questions.

1. Are you using iBooks or another app?

2. Does this happen with all of your books?

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 2:24 PM in response to SwWater2004

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities SwWater2004,

I see that you're having an issue when trying to have your books read to you. I understand your concern since you've used this feature before, and I'd be happy to help.

Let's have you restart the iPhone and then test to see if the issue remains.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If after restarting the issue still remains, reply back with the answers to the following questions.

1. Are you using iBooks or another app?

2. Does this happen with all of your books?

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

Feb 28, 2018 4:03 PM in response to MoonJ.

I have restarted my iPhone; the problem is persisted after the restart.

The problem occurs using any app where the pages turn versus the text scrolling. I have books in iBooks where the book scrolls. Speak Selection works properly for these books. The iBooks I have that have turning pages have the problem I described originally. This is the same for news articles as well as books in Kindle. And yes, this occurs in all of my books that have turning pages. Speak Selection turns the page and begins reading from the start of the last paragraph on the page regardless of how many lines are on the page.

Speak Selection not working correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.