Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It says it is unable to obtain authorization for this operation

It says it is unable to obtain authorization for this operation when i try to change keychain login.

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 1:18 PM

To build on the earlier message above...

When trying to reset the password via Apple instructions, Reset My Default Keychains dialogue box opens another dialogue box that asks for the login password, but using my current login password creates an error message "Unable to obtain authorization for this operation.

2 replies

Feb 27, 2018 3:30 PM in response to andreafromackley

Can you provide a few details in what you’re trying to do here? Seems you're trying to change your login password on your Mac, but some more details on your computer, on the macOS software version, and on whether the computer might be bound to a directory server (or if it’s a an isolated or home computer) might help get you the answer you need.

If you’re using a Mac that is (or was recently previously) connected to a business or a school network for various purposes including password authentication and directory services, please check with the IT folks that are supporting computers connected to that etwork.

It says it is unable to obtain authorization for this operation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.