Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: I just purchased a WD Passport ultra hard drive. Box says for windows but can be reformatted for mac. Use disc utility to erase and format to journalled. 3/4 way through it fails. Now it will not mount. Please help.

I just purchased a WD Passport ultra hard drive. Box says for windows but can be reformatted for mac. Use disc utility to erase and format to journalled. 3/4 way through it fails. Now it will not mount. Please help.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), mid 2011

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Try a different USB port.

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Feb 28, 2018 12:45 PM in response to rol44 In response to rol44

Try resetting the SMC.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

I have one of those drives from 2 years ago and it's fine. I just ordered a new one. I'll find out Thursday if there's a problem with the newer model.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Feb 28, 2018 12:45 PM in response to rol44 In response to rol44

Try resetting the SMC.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

I have one of those drives from 2 years ago and it's fine. I just ordered a new one. I'll find out Thursday if there's a problem with the newer model.

Feb 28, 2018 12:45 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Feb 28, 2018 12:50 PM in response to CountryGirl56 In response to CountryGirl56

After stumbling around on utube I finally went to WD website, support. They showed me some settings I was not aware of on disk utility. Followed their directions and EUREKA! solved. Thank you CountryGirl56 for your support. I have saved the (SMC) reset info for the future.

Feb 28, 2018 12:50 PM

Reply Helpful

Feb 28, 2018 1:58 PM in response to rol44 In response to rol44

They probably told you that you have to format the drive at the device level not the volume level. If they told you something else it would be good for you to post what they said so others may benefit from what worked for you.

Feb 28, 2018 1:58 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: rol44

Question: I just purchased a WD Passport ultra hard drive. Box says for windows but can be reformatted for mac. Use disc utility to erase and format to journalled. 3/4 way through it fails. Now it will not mount. Please help.