Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PERMANENT BLACK screen on my 2015 MacBook AIR

My 2015 Macbook Air, my newer one, (I am using my old one now, to post this) has a black screen, unchangeably black. I have tried the things that don't require being able to see anything on a screen, like trying to reboot ( Shift+Control+Option+Power button at the same time for a few seconds, then Release all keys at the same time, then boot the Mac as usual),

which seems to be the same thing if one wants to reset the SMC (system Management Controller). Now, in addition to the screen continuing to be black, now, also, the bottom half of the laptop (ie, the side where the keyboard is) seems to be vibrating at a very high speed!

Also, I have tried:

Once I hear the chime, even though I don't know if I have turned the thing off, or if has been turned on, I type in my password as if I were actually looking at a normal screen. Doesn't have any affect.

Since I have a black screen, I certainly cannot boot in safe mode, as, I cannot click on anything, or type anything at the right time, I have nothing on the screen. Nor can I offer my serial number, or any current info about the hardware or the software, as, I cannot read anything on the screen.

The last successful thing I was doing on that Macbook Air, I believe I was just looking at things on the internet, and at one point/moment, I realized everything had frozen, so I pushed on the power button until the Air shut down. I did not do anything more for a couple of hours, as, I was wasting time anyway. When I tried to turn on the AIR again, I opened it up, and waited for the screen to show the login window. I only had a black screen, no matter what I tried, for over an hour.

So then I switched to my old computer and started the research.

Nothing seems to improve the situation. I seem to be going in circles.

I cannot get help from apple genius without proof of the serial number.

After doing all of the above, with no success, nor even any progress,

I am hoping someone out there will read this and help me out.

Thanks!! Feb. 27, 2018 around 8PM Atlantic Time.

MacBook Air, iOS 11.2.2, guessing at the operating system ve

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 4:31 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 27, 2018 7:17 PM in response to amazonHUNT

About the only thing I can think of is that sometimes it can completely freeze such that nothing can be done to power down, restart, check battery status lights, etc. In my case it was a mid-2012 MBP where I had plugged in a non-MFi Lightning cable and everything just went black. No lights, no fans, no nothing except a faint electronic buzz coming from the logic board. If that happens the only thing that might work is to physically disconnect the battery, because it's probably stuck in some sort of intermediate state where it's in a locked-up state where it doesn't reset until all power is removed.

I don't know if you feel comfortable doing it yourself, but I'm sure if you went to an Apple Store with an appointment they would probably try that since it's not that complicated with a few tools.

PERMANENT BLACK screen on my 2015 MacBook AIR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.