Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Initial backup never completes. Backup size keeps increasing as it backs up!

I am trying to backup my new MacBook Pro (2017 model, fully up-to-date OS) using Time Machine. The initial backup NEVER completes as the backup size keeps increasing. I have tried this on THREE different Time Machine Backup disks, and the problem is always the same. The issue clearly is with the computer and I have no idea how to fix it. HELP ME PLEASE !

Here are some details:

• Macbook Pro 256GB SSD (2017 model, still under warranty). Disk currently about 80% full (200GB or so)
  • Time Machine Backup disks:
  • Apple Time Capsule 2TB (flat one, not tower one).
  • Buffalo NAS 2x2TB RAID 1.
  • i/O Data 2TB USB HDD (used as is first, then reformatted after first incomplete backup)

• All the above backup drives have been used or are currently being used as Time Machine backup drives for my other computers. All are formatted correctly (extended, guid, etc)

So, here is what's been happening, every times the same, one each of the above drives:

The initial backup starts fine, then stops after a while. Upon restarting, the backup size keeps increasing, making it impossible for the backup to ever complete. You can see the stupid thing in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cENrS7e4bZg

The difference between the two is about 10%, regardless of the size.

Yes, I tried different disks.

Yes, I restarted and updated everything with latest firmware and OS updates.

Yes, the drives are correctly formatted.

Yes, I deleted the backups, formatted, rebooted, restarted.

I've let the last option (backing up to the freshly-reformatted-to-Mac-OS-Extended-(Journaled) external USB HDD) running for 36 hours now. This MacBook Pro's 256GB SSD has already filled up 1.15TB of space on the drive, still not having completed its initial backup.

So... Any ideas/suggestions/anything from the community? I know I'm not the only one in this situation, but no other help thread has yielded any results so far, so here I am!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.2.6, Time Capsule

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 6:28 PM

If you still have applecare on the computer.. ring Apple and get them to sort it.

Time Machine logs should give you some info as to what is happening.. you open the console (from Utility folder) and search for backup.

Is the computer running any anti-virus or security software.. or accidently installed adware? All of it is bad and should be removed.

Use the activity monitor to see what is running.

The issue is certainly happening a fair bit on APFS formatted drives.. so it is high sierra issue in particular. Although the problem stretches back along way.. it is just more prevalent.

You probably should do a check of the SSD in your Mac.. by booting to recovery and run disk utility first aid.

My "solution"

Give Time Machine a rest.. it is now unreliable.. you have done a fantastic amount of testing.. If it cannot work even to a local drive.. which we recommend to people as the only hope for TM to be reliable.. it will certainly never work to your TC.

Use an alternative.. I use Carbon Copy Cloner.. no connection to the company at all. (SuperDuper is also popular, Chronosync.. but I found CCC the best combo of price, reliability and functionality). In several years of use it has never let me down.. nor has it misbehaved. As Time Machine grew worse I started doing occasional CCC backups. At the last annual wipe out of Time Machine backup..pooped in its own nest once too often..

User uploaded file

Bye bye 12months worth of backups.

This is now ridiculous.. So I swapped to Carbon Copy Cloner as my primary backup and use TM as a test only and to answer questions here. It subsequently failed again.. wiped out 2months worth of backups and did not even have the decency to give a warning.. I discovered it several days later.. from routine questions here about Time Machine that it had failed and wiped out the sparsebundle.

CCC continues to work exactly as expected.

Similar questions

2 replies
    Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 6:28 PM in response to mainger

If you still have applecare on the computer.. ring Apple and get them to sort it.

Time Machine logs should give you some info as to what is happening.. you open the console (from Utility folder) and search for backup.

Is the computer running any anti-virus or security software.. or accidently installed adware? All of it is bad and should be removed.

Use the activity monitor to see what is running.

The issue is certainly happening a fair bit on APFS formatted drives.. so it is high sierra issue in particular. Although the problem stretches back along way.. it is just more prevalent.

You probably should do a check of the SSD in your Mac.. by booting to recovery and run disk utility first aid.

My "solution"

Give Time Machine a rest.. it is now unreliable.. you have done a fantastic amount of testing.. If it cannot work even to a local drive.. which we recommend to people as the only hope for TM to be reliable.. it will certainly never work to your TC.

Use an alternative.. I use Carbon Copy Cloner.. no connection to the company at all. (SuperDuper is also popular, Chronosync.. but I found CCC the best combo of price, reliability and functionality). In several years of use it has never let me down.. nor has it misbehaved. As Time Machine grew worse I started doing occasional CCC backups. At the last annual wipe out of Time Machine backup..pooped in its own nest once too often..

User uploaded file

Bye bye 12months worth of backups.

This is now ridiculous.. So I swapped to Carbon Copy Cloner as my primary backup and use TM as a test only and to answer questions here. It subsequently failed again.. wiped out 2months worth of backups and did not even have the decency to give a warning.. I discovered it several days later.. from routine questions here about Time Machine that it had failed and wiped out the sparsebundle.

CCC continues to work exactly as expected.

Feb 27, 2018 6:33 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the speedy reply. My experience with AppleCare for these types of matters (ie those involving external drives or such) is rather poor 😕. My Time Capsule is probably obsolete (officially), and the other drives are not Apple products so I can already hear how that conversation would go...

Anyway, I decided to go with your advice and purchased CCC. It's backing up as we speak 😀 !

It's a pity Apple is not putting more resources into making sure TM is more reliable. Oh well, at least my data is safe 🙂

Cheers!

Initial backup never completes. Backup size keeps increasing as it backs up!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.