Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t get rid of “other” in iPad storage

So, I’m trying desperately to clear out a few GB of space on my 16GB iPad, and about 75% of my storage space is being used up by “other”. I searched around the internet and the consensus seemed to be that the best way to clear the iPad of unwanted junk after clearing the Safari cache, etc. was to erase all content and settings and reset it completely after backing it up to iCloud, so that’s what I just did. It’s now back on with everything restored and “other” is still taking up about 65-70% of my storage, and I’m left with 4GB of free space. What else can I try doing at this point?

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 9:01 PM

Some of that "Other" data could be related to cached files for some of the apps you have on your device. Some of that data may also be related to iOS Analytics. Do you have analytics enabled in Settings > Privacy > Analytics? You can see all the logs under Analytics Data.

Your best bet at this point would be to manually back up any media you need and set the iPad up as new without restoring from a backup. You'll still get back your iCloud data, but you won't be loading on any cache or analytics files back on to the device. You would lose your message history on the iPad and would need to redownload your apps from the App Store, but it's an option.

If you have a computer: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings -

If you don't have a computer or prefer to reset from iOS: How to erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - 

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 9:01 PM in response to avb25

Some of that "Other" data could be related to cached files for some of the apps you have on your device. Some of that data may also be related to iOS Analytics. Do you have analytics enabled in Settings > Privacy > Analytics? You can see all the logs under Analytics Data.

Your best bet at this point would be to manually back up any media you need and set the iPad up as new without restoring from a backup. You'll still get back your iCloud data, but you won't be loading on any cache or analytics files back on to the device. You would lose your message history on the iPad and would need to redownload your apps from the App Store, but it's an option.

If you have a computer: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings -

If you don't have a computer or prefer to reset from iOS: How to erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - 

Feb 27, 2018 8:24 PM in response to Community User

Ideally, I’d really like 4 more GB of space cleared. These annoying 16 gig iPads really are pretty useless haha. I took a photo of what my storage looks like currently. I did restore from iCloud backup so it’s very possible that all of the previous cached files were reuploaded. I took your advice and enabled my iCloud Photo Library, which should help a little. It seems like even if I delete the majority of my apps, it wouldn’t make much of a dent. I’m wondering - if all those files were reuploaded, how can I get rid of them so the next time I reset and restore my iPad, they won’t return? User uploaded file

Feb 27, 2018 7:48 PM in response to avb25

Did you restore from your iCloud backup? If so, it's possible you loaded the cached files back on to your device. How much more space are you trying to clear and what's taking up the most space under Settings > iPad Storage aside from Other?

This article from  support describes a bit about what "Other" is in iOS storage: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch)

Specifically, look at the section titled: About cached files in "Other" iOS storage.

Also, are you using iCloud Photo Library? Doing so can help clear up space on your device by creating optimized versions of your photos and videos.

Keep in mind that a 16GB device fills up fairly quickly depending on how many apps, movies, music, photos, and videos you have downloaded, as well as Messages attachments. I recommend deleting (or transferring to another device) any media or message attachments you don't need or use regularly.

Feb 27, 2018 9:19 PM in response to avb25

A portion of that data may also be related to the system. When you're in the Storage Settings and you swipe all the way to the bottom, how much space is the "System" taking up?

Can’t get rid of “other” in iPad storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.