Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newly downloaded PDF Locked after clicking title and changing name

Hello,

I experience a frustrating phenomenon. My process for downloading and storing scholarly articles is as follows:

PDF is open in a tab in Safari

Near the bottom of the file, click the icon that opens it in Preview

Click the title in Preview, to open a dialog where I can edit the title

Edit the title

Click, tab, or "enter" out of the edit box

Upon completion of the last step, the file is locked. This is very consistent for me, but it is quite frustrating: I download nearly every article with the intention to mark it up, and so it must be unlocked before it can be edited. I'm pretty sure that there is no way to turn it off.

I can Command-S without the file locking, but I want to ask the Forum if there's a better way before reverting.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 5:45 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 28, 2018 9:16 AM in response to LDSBradleyM

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Also try the Safe Mode.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan
also Sierra

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Mar 16, 2018 10:39 AM in response to LDSBradleyM

LDSBradleyM wrote:

Thank you again for your help / thoughts!! Let me know if you have any other suggestions!

You're welcome. I see what you mean. You're correct, saving it first does not lock it. Once it's open in Preview, when you try and annotate it it will tell you it's locked and ask if you want to create a copy, unlock it or cancel.

I'm not sure what Apple's thought process is but there it is. You can send them feedback if you like.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Feb 28, 2018 8:25 AM in response to CountryGirl56

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, as you can see in your image, the Locked check box is not only unchecked, it's also slightly greyed out. You cannot click it, till you tab or click out of the Name: edit box. However, once I do that, Preview pauses for a second and sets the file's status to Locked. I can then, presuming I clicked or hit return, click on the name again and unlock the file. If I pressed tab I can wait till the file is locked and then uncheck the box (The dialog box does not close). The purpose of this question is to find out if there's a way to not have to do this. I download a lot of files...and having to unlock each one is less effective. 🙂

As far as I can tell, the best option is to change the name, press 'tab', wait 3 seconds for the file to lock, uncheck the Locked box, and go on my way. I wish I could default to "not Locked," but that doesn't seem to be possible...

Thank you again for your help / thoughts!! Let me know if you have any other suggestions!

Mar 16, 2018 11:51 AM in response to CountryGirl56

So I happened upon some further observations that have uncovered the issue, but not the solution:

If you edit the document before saving or renaming it, it complains and tells you that the original document cannot be edited, so a copy has been created. If you save the copy, no locking occurs. This suggests that the original is stored in some system location where it is write-protected.

If you attempt to move the file (Using "Move to..." from the File menu) before renaming it, it shows you where it's hiding (a somewhat random folder deep within /private/var/folders).

A ls -l of the files in that folder reveals that all are user-readable only, implying that they are locked the moment they're downloaded, presumably to protect the user/system, and that when you click the title to rename the file, the file is renamed (and moved), but the permissions are not changed. Whether this behavior is deliberate or unintentional is harder to tell, but I would presume it is unintentional--that upon moving/saving the file, it should be marked "read/write," instead of read-only.

But like you said, I can use Google or Firefox if I choose. 🙂 Thanks for looking into this!

Newly downloaded PDF Locked after clicking title and changing name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.