Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i accidentally deleted something in Disk utilities (I think the start up disk?) How do i fix it

i accidentally deleted something in disk utilities (i think the start up disk?) and now when my MacBook boots up i get a question mark with a grey folder how can i fix it? I don't have any kind of backup or time machine i don't really mind or care if all my stuff gets deleted i just want it to work again

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 8:36 PM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2018 8:40 PM in response to anthonylapsley

anthonylapsley wrote:

i accidentally deleted something in disk utilities (i think the start up disk?) and now when my MacBook boots up i get a question mark with a grey folder how can i fix it? I don't have any kind of backup or time machine i don't really mind or care if all my stuff gets deleted i just want it to work again

As explained in: About the screens you see when your Mac starts up - Apple Support

"You might see one of these screens appear during startup if you've changed your startup options, or if there's an issue starting up your Mac.

Folder with a question mark

User uploaded file

If you see a folder with a question mark appear instead of the Apple logo, it means your Mac couldn't find a local or network-based startup disk. This can happen if the disk selected in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences isn't available. Wait a few seconds to see if your Mac is able to locate the startup disk you specified.

If you still see a question mark after waiting a few seconds, use Startup Manager to start up your Mac, then select your startup disk from System Preferences.

If a question mark appears after you install a software update, select your startup disk again using macOS Recovery."

User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2018 8:58 AM in response to anthonylapsley

anthonylapsley wrote:

I dont know anything about technology I've tried contacting Apple, but they don't give me step by step directions. Also I believe it's a mid 2010 and I've tried to reinstall os high sierra and it says "the recovery server could not be contacted" and I've tried it multiple times, does the same thing

That means you don't have an internet connection that's properly connecting to Apple's servers. But are you at least seeing the menu that looks like this?

https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/macos/ highsierra/macos-high-sierra-recovery-mo…

Feb 27, 2018 9:02 PM in response to anthonylapsley

anthonylapsley wrote:

It doesn't take me to the home screen it just stays on the screen with blinking white background with the folder and question mark. If i replace my hd will it fix the problem even though nothings wrong with the hd?

You didn't mention which model of MBP.

If you don't care if you lose anything you might just want to install the operating system over the partition that you erased. At this point it's probably not worth trying to save the drive for data recovery. You might try doing it with Internet Recovery (hold option-command-R at power on) and make sure you're connected to the internet. One of the options will be to reinstall MacOS/OS X.

If it's a mid-2012 MBP or earlier, a solid-state drive might make for considerably better performance.

i accidentally deleted something in Disk utilities (I think the start up disk?) How do i fix it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.