Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't close my Mac or use my iPad :,(

I was trying to move songs on iTunes to my iPad so I was doing a update, but during the process it had an error saying ' could not connect to device '.

I tried to shut my computer down and restart it ( Im using a MacBook Air ),but to do so I had to close the error tab but it keeps popping back up.

My iPad is telling me to connect with my Mac to update Itunes, I tried turning it off and on but its keep telling me to update.

I also updated by using a charger and connecting it with my Mac and iPad.

Im using MacBook Air and iPad Pro

Please help me, I need my iPad for school :,(((

MacBook Air, null

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 11:22 PM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2018 6:04 PM in response to Suenna

Hi, Suenna,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. If I understand your post, you were trying to update your iPad so you could sync songs from your MacBook Air to your iPad using iTunes. During that process, you received a connection error, and now you keep getting a pop up in iTunes requesting you connect your device. This is preventing you from doing anything else. I know how important it is that you can get back to work, especially when school is involved, so I'm happy to help!

From what you've described is happening, I would recommend the following steps:
  1. Quit iTunes. You can do this by pressing Command+Q on your keyboard or by clicking iTunes > Quit iTunes from the menu. If you're unable to do this, force quit iTunes instead: How to force an app to quit - Apple Support. Once iTunes has quit, disconnect your iPad from the computer.
  2. Restart your iPad: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. If you cannot power the iPad off, try to force restart it using the applicable steps from the "If your screen is black or frozen" section of If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support.
  3. Next, check for updates for your macOS software, including iTunes: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support. After installing any applicable updates, or if there are no updates available, restart your Mac by clicking the Apple  menu > Restart...

If you are unable to get iTunes to close, check for updates, or use the Apple  menu to restart, press and hold the power button on your MacBook Air for 15-20 seconds, until the computer shuts off. Then, restart your computer as normal by pressing the power button once. If you were unable to check for updates before restarting the Mac, check for updates now.
  4. Open iTunes and connect your iPad. If you are prompted to trust the computer, respond on the iPad screen (likewise if you're asked to unlock the iPad). Then, check for any iOS updates for your iPad: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.
If you are still unable to update your iPad after going through these steps, please don't hesitate to respond back.

Have a good day!

I can't close my Mac or use my iPad :,(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.