Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create multicam clip command completely broken

Hello,

I've been using Final Cut X for years, and I am encountering this problem for the first time. I have imported footage from a 2 camera shoot, half are 720, half are 1080. I have placed them in the timeline just to line them up and find which clips are paired with each other. I went to create multi cam clips with each pair, and when I did, Final Cut created a strange, truncated clip that was clearly wrong. I immediately moved the clip to the trash. After that, the create multicam clip command stopped working entirely, both as a button and was greyed out in the menu.

Maybe related, maybe not related- I always ask FCP to "leave files in place" when importing, but of course in classic apple style, it took it upon itself to go ahead and re-copy all of the clips anyway, with no explanation as to why. My only guess as to why FCP would display such erratic behavior is that it doesn't like the video codecs being used for some reason. But they appear to be H.264 and there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary about them. FCP is supposed to handle it natively if I remember correctly. I can live with it re-copying the media if it makes it work properly, but the Multicam function not working is unforgivable, especially since it's always worked so well in the past.

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 4:52 PM

So, here's a new wrinkle. And maybe I should have tried this first. It appears that the menu command only works in the browser, but not in the timeline-which is infuriating, because the compound clip command works from the timeline.

Similar questions

18 replies

Mar 1, 2018 1:29 AM in response to Anger44

Anger44 wrote:

No, there's a folder called transcoded media, and there are full-sized files in there. The original media were already in clip form. The original media folder has aliases in it.

The original media was not copied, then, so it is working correctly.

Transcoded media was probably created on input, like Tom said, because one or both of these boxes in the Import window were checked:

User uploaded file

These can be discarded without a problem.

Select the project, event, or the whole library, as desired, and choose File->Delete Generated ... Files

Check all the boxes.

Like Tom said, you can go to Preferences and uncheck the two boxes next to transcoding, so it does not happen to you the next time you import.

Create multicam clip command completely broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.