Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS High sierra (10.13.3 supplement) screwed my iMac12,1

MacOS High sierra (10.13.3 supplement) screwed my iMac12,1 (2011)

After installing 10.13.3 Supplemental update on 2/25/18 via the App Store, iMac12,1 no longer detects internal speakers and the screen continuously ripple refreshes (flickers) any open apps, such as a Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Chrome document. The only possible sound output device to select is my Airport Express 2 (I do not have one). The speaker icon has disappeared from the top menu and nothing within the System Preferences Sound window is selectable — everything is greyed out and un-selectable.

Multiple restarts after the OS 10.13.3 supplement had no effect.

I see that Apple Support says:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1958?locale=en_US

Restarted via Safe Boot (hold down shift key during restart from first chime to start).

Had no worthwhile effect. Still no sound, no icon in menu nor ability to select an output device. Although the output device has changed from AirPortExpress2 to nothing available to select as output device. (I unplugged my AirPort Express1 module.) Word, Excel. PowerPoint, Chrome app files still had ripple re-fresh screens interrupt any work with the file while working under Safe Boot.

I had an external drive attached with MacOS 10.6.8 that could run this iMac.
I restarted with the option key depressed to select the start-up disk. Three possible start-up disks were shown: the iMac w/ the wonky OS10.13.3, a restore/backup disk w/ OS 10.13.3, and my external HD w/ OS 10.6.8.

I selected the restore/backup disk w/ OS 10.13.3, but found that I could not re-install the 10.13.3 OS because the system could not make a connection to the server. So — I stated up with the OS 10.6.8 OS and discovered that my internal speakers were functional and there was no ripple refresh of the screen in Word files under OS 10.6.8. This means my equipment is functional.

In disgust, I restarted into the iMac with OS 10.13.3 and — Now everything now seems to be working OK except there is no icon for a speaker in my top menu. I can select the speaker in the Sound window of System Preferences and the internal speakers are now recognized. Even better, there do not seem to be any ripple re-freshs of the app windows in Word.

Interesting, that I needed the best OS (10.6.8) to instruct the current OS (10.13.3) how to use the equipment and features of my iMac12.1

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Cinema display

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 8:25 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 27, 2018 8:28 PM in response to Judy Churchill

A Troubleshooting Protocol to Identify Problems or Fix macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals and remove any support software like drivers and plug-ins.
  3. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Start the computer in Safe Mode, then restart normally. This is slower than a standard startup.
  6. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  7. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  8. Download and install the OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update or 10.12.6 Combo Update or Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Combo Update as needed.
  9. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
  10. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

MacOS High sierra (10.13.3 supplement) screwed my iMac12,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.