Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.1.8 crashes trying to load projects

After a recent update to macOS, I can no longer access my iMovie projects. When iMovie is attempting to load the projects, it simply crashes.

I have recovered the app from Time Machine from a few months back - no change.

I have tried to create a new library, and it still crashes just trying to open the empty library.

It doesn't matter whether the library is in my home folder or on an external drive.

I am unable to download a fresh copy of iMovie - why?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 15in, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 3TB USB

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 9:02 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 28, 2018 7:48 AM in response to pvmac

Hi,

Using a Mac laptop with an external monitor can cause crashing. Should that be your situation, the workaround is to launch iMovie with your laptop lid open. After iMovie launches you can close the laptop lid.

If the above doesn't apply to you, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences from the box that appears. Sometimes that cures issues related to updates.

If still no luck, you might try launching iMovie in a new user account. You can use the Guest account on your computer for this purpose.

Another thing that might work is to boot up in Safe Mode, and then after everything loads, close down and reboot in normal mode.

Redownloading iMovie is another option, as you have tried to do. To redownload, put your iMovie 10.1.8 version in the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then go to the online app store, sign in with your Apple ID, and click on the Purchased tab. iMovie 10.1.8 should be available to download. If it is not available, you can remove your version from the trash.

Hope this helps.

-- Rich

iMovie 10.1.8 crashes trying to load projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.