Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to repair el captain disk on mac when stuck on OS X utilities page. i erased all my info and the disk off on my computer by accident and i have no clue how to get it back. i have a 2007 i mac with el captain

I have a 2007 i mac computer. I accidentally erased the main disk off of the computer because i wanted to update the computer and accidentally erased everything. I am currently stuck on the OS X Utilities page and can’t get to the home screen. i went to apple and they said i needed to order some kind of disk but i don’t remember which one. i took my computer to apple in cherry hill and they didn’t know what to do so they said i could buy a disk to keep all of my stuff on and it is some type of disk but i have no clue which one. can anyone help me out of this screen?

iMac, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 9:59 PM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2018 2:56 AM in response to OceanaWallace

If you erased the disk and didn't have a backup, which it doesn't sound like you do, you've likely lost anything that was on that disk. There are data recovery options like Data Rescue 5 https://www.prosofteng.com/data-recovery-software/ that might be able to get your data back, but the more you mess with that drive the less the chances are. Alternatively there are professional data recovery services which might be able to get your data back, but they are extremely expensive. Is your data worth possibly thousands of dollars?

If data recovery becomes not an option you can just select "reinstall os x" from the utilities menu and start fresh. In the future you should get an external hard drive and use Time Machine to backup your data to prevent future data loss How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

how to repair el captain disk on mac when stuck on OS X utilities page. i erased all my info and the disk off on my computer by accident and i have no clue how to get it back. i have a 2007 i mac with el captain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.